• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this a replacement for XP?

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
I just discovered a new OS that might be a contender for an XP replacement. A computer had showed up here a while ago with XP licensing information on the box, so that's what I was expecting. However, when I finally got it to an opening screen it was asking for a password for Windows Home Server 2011.

Funny stuff. It will ping, but no telnet, ssh, or ftp response whatsoever. It does respond to http and I got a screen saying remote access was not enabled. While I was doing a net search on this new exotic OS, I noticed there was unusual activity, so I checked the router and the new computer was apparently very busy downloading stuff!!! That's hilarious, but as long as it's not going out, I don't mind at this point. Besides, without a password this machine will probably not develop any further with this installation. I also found out from the excellent Microsoft site that complimentary Windows only software is required on connecting machines (which are limited to 10 in number).

In any case, a little Googling and I see that WHS 2011 is Microsoft's cheapest OS. That's something right there. Another thing, some people are saying that it will run desktop applications just fine. If I got the info right, then Win 7 apps are OK too.

So, is this a choice for XP users? Can they migrate their bought and paid for applications to it?

PS: Sorry, this should have gone in the old (locked) thread, but I just discovered this now and thought it was important. After starting to write in the "Linux/BSD replacement thread", I decided not to confuse things there. So here it is as a separate thread.

Other than saving a few bucks, why not just use Windows 7?
I just got the OEM verison, think I paid something like NZD 90 (~USD 80 or 85). I can't call 0800 support, but for an OS I use daily (and have done for a couple of years) I didn't think that was too bad.

You're probably right. I have no Windows experience. I think WHS is about half that price. Will Windows 7 really run on a 10 year old machine though? I think that's the real problem that people are facing. They have a P4 with 2GB ram, and modern software expects more. Of course people could just buy a new computer, but that's not the solution that many want.

It's not as "snappy" as XP, but 7 actually ran ok on my old P4 with 1GB (i'd rather keep XP on a P4, but if you *needed* to upgrade - Vista was a bit slow for me)
I haven't checked but 2011 was only 3 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if underneath the title it's just Vista or 7.

Good luck finding drivers for old XP relic machines upgraded to Windows 7 (and how many native Win98/2k machines found their way to XP that would never run 7). Sometimes its better just to buy a new or newer machine.

Yeah true that. You often do rely on MS or vendors writing drivers. I haven't done many machines, just my home built P4 which went without a hitch.
I usually build a new PC every couple of years - although with the over-clock I think this one will probably be with me another couple (had it 3 years, and other machines I use still don't feel any faster - although an SSD would be nice).

Many manufactures seem to make it a business practice to not provide newer drivers just so you have to get new hardware.

There's also Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, a slimmed-down version of XP Pro with Microsoft support through 2019:

It actually runs faster than XP -- it is surprisingly quick on a 1 GHz PIII with 512 MB of RAM.

Given that the support extends through 2019, what's the point of MSFT cutting off support of standard XP in 2014? You'd think that the same basic issues would affect both.

Or is this just a case of "Silly boy..." :rolleyes:

A lot of people might grouse less about going to Win7 or 8.1 if there were a real upgrade path from XP. MSFT's big blunder is saying that no, not only do you have to buy a new machine, but you'll have to find alternatives to the applications that you already use. Can one, for example, install old versions of Microsoft Office on 8.1?

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 looks like it would be fun, but there are a lot of hoops to go through to actually buy it. There's a 120 day evaluation version as a free download, but an actual licensed version has to come from a dealer of some kind. Embedded systems partner or some such marketing crap.

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 looks like it would be fun, but there are a lot of hoops to go through to actually buy it. There's a 120 day evaluation version as a free download, but an actual licensed version has to come from a dealer of some kind. Embedded systems partner or some such marketing crap.

MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) members can get a product key for it. (The ISO is the same as the trial version; only the key you use determines whether you get the 120-day timebomb or the unrestricted version.)

POSReady uses static keys which can be used on any number of computers, and there is no activation required (and it will pass the Genuine Advantage check).

How's that particularly helpfull for the likes of myself or others that don't have access to MSDN.?

Ole thanks for going to the effort of mentioning WHS. Looks promising.

Some thoughts.
As a retirement project I refurbish laptops (mostly Dell) and sell some and give some to a local veteran's group. Most of the D600's and D610's cannot run Windows 7 but work well with Vista. I installed the embeddedPOS on a D600 tonight and noticed a few things so far. I got the Key from Microsoft, I don't think i'm in MSDN but whatever. I've easily done over 50 XP installs because that is what most of the Dell laptops I get originally came with. When you use the Dell reinstall CD you don't even have to enter the KEY from the bottom.
The embedded won't install without a key
It won't let you install without a password for the administrator.
It installs with SP3 already loaded.
There are no games.
I had to do a work around to get Firefox installed - get Google Chrome and then Firefox. IE just would not let me install it.

The system is a little faster. I will try and get Microsoft security essentials going tomorrow. The biggest effect with the ending of support of regular XP is that it not only doesn't it provide updates for security essentials anymore, it actually uninstalls itself.

The biggest effect with the ending of support of regular XP is that it not only doesn't it provide updates for security essentials anymore, it actually uninstalls itself.
Not my experience, at least with XP Pro: Security Essentials is still running happily with a green icon and a reassuring checkmark and was last updated yesterday morning (Vsn 1.173.831.0)..

This makes me wonder if there is some registry hack that could be done to make windows update think a full XP install is this version.

There's also Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, a slimmed-down version of XP Pro with Microsoft support through 2019:

It actually runs faster than XP -- it is surprisingly quick on a 1 GHz PIII with 512 MB of RAM.

Not my experience, at least with XP Pro: Security Essentials is still running happily with a green icon and a reassuring checkmark and was last updated yesterday morning (Vsn 1.173.831.0)..
I've already posted a screen shot of of the error mesage XP Home throws up when following the advice Chuck gave in the locked thread. I imagine most consumers would be running XP Home and not XP Professional, as that is most likely the version shipped with most consumer systems. The ones I've been given where generally set up on a FAT32 partition from new. They also booted to a user profile that had admin rights.

Last edited:
I imagine most consumers would be running XP Home and not XP Professional, as that is most likely the version shipped with most consumer systems. The ones I've been given where generally set up on a FAT32 partition from new. They also booted to a user profile that had admin rights.

Most folks running "late" XP machines are actually running XP Professional under the guise of Media Center Edition 2005.

For those who got a key for POSReady2009 online, be aware that it is a time limited copy that will expire after 120 days.

I've already posted a screen shot of of the error mesage XP Home throws up when following the advice Chuck gave in the locked thread. I imagine most consumers would be running XP Home and not XP Professional, as that is most likely the version shipped with most consumer systems. The ones I've been given where generally set up on a FAT32 partition from new. They also booted to a user profile that had admin rights.
Of course I hate to argue with an authority like yourself, but to borrow a phrase from the Linux Initiation Brochure: "It works for me; I can't imagine why anybody would have a problem with it". (Note that I left out the optional "with half a brain" part).

untitled4p.JPG

Back