• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this an Apple II joystick?

olePigeon

Veteran Member
I'm looking to buy an Apple II joystick, and the seller can't tell me what computer system it's for. Anyone hazard a guess? Looks like 9 pin male connector, which I think is Apple II.

joystick3.jpg

Seconded. It's gameport.
I have only seen two ways for a game controller to plug into an Apple II and that was either through the internal DIP connector or the DB9 paddle connector on the back.

PC sticks like this are electrically almost identical. You need only build a simple adapter. The Apple II uses analog joysticks/paddles, as does the PC. Many PC sticks in this era even had a double-headed cable,allowing them to plug into either the II or the PC.

-Ian

Well, the box has 3 check boxes for Apple II, IBM/Tandy, Atari/Commodore. I sent another email to see if they can tell me if it comes with an adapter. This is the front of the box, but nothing is checkmarked. And if the joystick is any indication, I'd hate to buy it and not be able to use. Maybe someone here knows what brand it is?

joystick4.jpg

Well, the box has 3 check boxes for Apple II, IBM/Tandy, Atari/Commodore. I sent another email to see if they can tell me if it comes with an adapter. This is the front of the box, but nothing is checkmarked. And if the joystick is any indication, I'd hate to buy it and not be able to use. Maybe someone here knows what brand it is?

You can see from the photo that the cable has the 15 pin PC style connector on it. But you can make a trivial adapter to allow you to plug it into the Apple. You don't mention what kind of Apple you have though. The II and II+ use a 16 pin DIP socket on the motherboard. The IIe and IIgs also have this socket, but they also have a 9 pin female dsub connector on the back (much more convenient, and durable...). The //c only has the dsub connector.

-Ian

Back