• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this something that can be fixed?

Sematary

I have two TI99/4A computers. One works great.
The other one - not so much. All I get when it powers up is a blank screen and a high pitched sound which emits from the audio on the t.v.
Anybody know if this is repairable or should I simply keep it for parts?

I assume your talking about a CRT monitor?If so yeah you might be able to fix it.It could be a broke wire that got crossed or something wrong with the coil.i.e. missaligned or shorted.

I assume your talking about a CRT monitor?If so yeah you might be able to fix it.It could be a broke wire that got crossed or something wrong with the coil.i.e. missaligned or shorted.

No - I'm just hooking it up to my television. What I'm talking about is what the unit is sending to the television - a blank screen and a high pitched noise.

I had a faint memory of hearing that the TI-99/4 and 99/4A came with two different video pinouts, while sharing the same DIN-5 connector. After browsing the Internet, I didn't find any evidence about a second pinout (which would be somewhat compatible with Commodore, Atari, Spectravideo pinouts) so maybe I misremember or it was a hoax posted somewhere. The only I found is that PAL machines use a DIN-6 instead of a DIN-5 but with the same type of signals.

Otherwise, if there do exist two different pinouts on the same market, it could explain why the same cable and TV works with one computer but only generates noise and no picture with the other computer.

Are you using NTSC format t.v. or a PAL one?IF its a NTSC it can use one plug (ussualy inserted in the back of the t.v.) or 1 video,1 left speaker sound 1 right speaker sound (ussually color coded), .the one cable incorperated all of the 3 cables in one.Do you have another t.v. in your house? if so try connecting to that one.If it still dont work you either have a wrong cable or most likely a broken video generator.

My advice if it doenst work at all is to get on ebay and get a new one.It should cost like $10 max.
Random Ebay item.
I found a few dismantled bombs from a panzer for $15 a piece once on it.

Back