• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ISO Manual for HP DDS3 SCSI Autoloader Tape Drive

RussBlakeman

Experienced Member
I have a unit that I obtained some years ago that I forgot about that has the following markings on the labels on the bottom of the cabinet

Model HPFH-012 Rev D
Desc: HP, 5.25 FH, 40W, CNT, 2RS
Part: C1558-60002

Another label has

Part Number: A3716-67301
Exchange: A3716-69301

I have searched the web for any sort of manual and nothing other than some places that have used (aka refurbished) units for ridiculous amounts but no manuals. It has DIP switches in a recess on the bottom that I want to know what the settings are and the normal use for it. Would also be helpful to know what tape backup software might work with it. It has 50 pin narrow SCSI conections on back along with numerical clickers for SCSI address and autoloader options. I know what the address one is for but no idea for the options one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

After doing some looking at the links given and thinking about the time I spent doing HP printer and computer warranty services it clicked with me that the A3716-67301 translates to the unit being an A3716A Surestore Autoloader 6 tape DDS3 unit. I've found a few minor manuals but nothing specific yet.

Powering it up it groans and stops after self test with an amber error lamp so I guess my first task is to crack it open and watch the mechanism to see if it is in need of lubrication before I commit tapes to it

Did some work inside and found a seized cooling fan, replaced it. Got the unit to eject the 6 position carrier and while things look ok I don't have a DDS3 tape to mess with it further so I'll be setting it aside for now while I mess with an Exabyte Autopak 1x7 (VX-2) tape drive I got from one of my corporate clients a few years back that has all 7 tapes in it and I know it works. I have to get the Exabyte connected anyway to be able to wipe the tapes to either reuse the unit or to be able to sell it with clean tapes. The HP case is actually pretty nice, it might make a good external SCSI case for two SCSI cdroms since the PSU in it has two molex 4 pin floppy/HDD/CDrom power connections on it. I'll set the HP aside. maybe someone will read this later and know more about it than me.

Compatibility among generations of DDS drives is a lot better than the mare's nest of LTO types. (e.g. LTO7 can read LTO6 and LTO5 tapes, but nothing earlier).

Well I located the cable I needed (SCSI 1 C50 to SCSI 3 68) and connected the unit to my AHA-2940UW controller and it came up fine in both the device list on the controller and in Windows 10 Pro 32 bit. I found out that the drive/autoloader unit inside is a C1557A 6x24 (144gb max) DDS3 tape drive and some sites have noted it can use DDS1 thru DDS3 tapes but the one DDS1 I have is actually an empty (no idea where it came from or why it's empty). So it goes untested beyond power and connectivity. Will likely put it up for sale in an as-tested condition, someone will likely have a use for it either as a bare drive assy or in the case. Using the C1557A nomenclature I was able to find user manuals for the unit. All the help is greatly appreciated, at least I know it might be a usable unit to someone else. I have a VXA-2 drive and 7 x23 80/160gb tapes so this is excess to me.

Back