• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Issues installing PC-DOS 4.01 onto my IBM 5160

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
So I'm currently trying to install PC-DOS 4.01 onto my 5160. I've written both 720k disks, however when prompted to insert the "Install" disk and press enter, setup doesn't seem to recognize the disk. I can still exit the setup and read and run programs off the disk normally, though I would prefer to install it off of the utility so I can configure it to boot directly into the shell utility.

The volumes on both disks don't have labels and I assume that's the source of the issue I'm experiencing; setup looking for a label on the disk that isn't present. Would anyone happen to know what either disk should be labeled? I've already tried "install" and "operating" on their respective disks.

Glancing at a couple of IBM PC-DOS 4.01 disk images, I don't see any volume labels on them... but they do have a zero length file that seems to ID the disk. The DOS "COPY" command will not copy zero length files, because in the DOS/Windows world, a zero length file is either corrupt or in use by another process, so a bad idea to touch it. (Which is why using zero length files like this is a boneheaded idea)

Just to be sure, I would download a fresh set of PC-DOS 4.01 720k floppy disk images and then write them with WinImage.

Back