• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Issues reading recent burned CDs on old Power PC

jon1967us

Experienced Member
I have a 6100/66 that I am trying to get software on. When I burn a CD on a modern Mac, using an LG DVD/CD burner reading the CD on the 6100 causes the system to freeze. Is there a workable hardware/software setup to be able to do this?

Am I pursuing the most efficient method for transfer of software to an old Mac?

What CD-ROM drive does it have? The older one that still uses a Caddy, or the newer one? The older one is very picky with burnt CDs. It certainly works with Verbatim ink-jet printable CD-Rs.

But generally, try different brands of blank discs and burn as slow as possible. Also consider upgrading the CD drive in the 6100.

Timo, it's the caddy version drive. The one that comes out. Can you recommend cheap or freeware software to be able to control the burn speed? I just used my Powerbook's system software by option clicking on a file and choosing "burn CD"

Any recommendations on a drive replacement or could I use a peripheral/SCSI one?

Last edited:
I wish I could, but I'm a Windows user. Any burning software I ever used on Windows offers setting the burn speed.

The 6100 later got the Apple CD300i, which has a tray and is faster (2x instead of 1x). But I would go for the 600i instead (4x). I think these are even still rather easy to find. Apart from that, the one with the Caddy is from Sony and has leaking caps inside. That could be a cause for your issues as well.

You can also use any non-Apple branded SCSI CD-ROM drive, but then you need to replace the CD-ROM driver in the System folder, as the one that comes with MacOS refuses to mount 3rd-party drives.

Back