• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

It appears the old Vintage-computer.com forums got re-activated some how.

I guess someone still needs to poke the right people. In the mean time, check for old links floating around and update them.

If Google is indexing that now, things will get ultra-confusing.

As mentioned in another thread recently, the old forum somehow got recently restored with a backup from 2012, meaning that all threads from then until the switchover to the new site were lost (although copies of them exist here now), and it got unlocked so people (mostly spammers!) can once again register and start posting there again.

I'll look into it.

I live in central NJ, we had 10 inches of heavier-than-usual snow yesterday, the power's out, and the local utility company says power "may" be restored by late Saturday night. :(

Right now I'm at the library to use their free electrons.

I'll look into it.

I live in central NJ, we had 10 inches of heavier-than-usual snow yesterday, the power's out, and the local utility company says power "may" be restored by late Saturday night. :(

I'm also in central NJ. We got almost two feet of snow and there are trees and wires down all over the place. I luckily still have power but the landline phone, DSL Internet, and cable TV are all out, and my cell phone reception has gone from four bars to one. I'm typing this from work right now (during my lunch break, of course!).

I'm also in central NJ. We got almost two feet of snow and there are trees and wires down all over the place. I luckily still have power but the landline phone, DSL Internet, and cable TV are all out, and my cell phone reception has gone from four bars to one. I'm typing this from work right now (during my lunch break, of course!).

I am in California, yesterday I considered going to the beach....

I'm in South Jersey; the landline phone has been out since five days before the storm which deposited 12 inches of the heaviest, wettest snow I've ever seen, the DSL has been flakey for two weeks and that's even after two repair ticket visits to my house including a modem replacement but at least the power never went out and the cell reception is as good as ever.

...I live in central NJ, we had 10 inches of heavier-than-usual snow yesterday, the power's out, and the local utility company says power "may" be restored by late Saturday night. :(
Is that why your avatar is black and white? ;)
All kidding aside. Thanks EvanK. I appreciate all that you do. Hope your power comes on soon. Man, Saturday night seems like a long time to wait!

Is that why your avatar is black and white? ;)
All kidding aside. Thanks EvanK. I appreciate all that you do. Hope your power comes on soon. Man, Saturday night seems like a long time to wait!

Nah I just thought it was a cool image. :) It's from the table of contents in an IEEE Spectrum issue where I wrote an article.

Always happy to do what I can to help.

That's Enom, isn't it?

Incorrect.

Update: Weird! Whois search says we use Enom. We don't. Whole other company. Maybe they do domains through Enom. I don't know (and don't much care). Anyway our hosting company is definitely not Enom.

But I don't wish to advertise which hoster we DO use. That information could be exploited by a malicious hacker.

I'll look into it.

I live on top of a hill range ( we call them mountains here but I think heightwise they fall short) 18 inches.. Plowing, snow blowing and shoveling, It added to the 6 inches left from the previous snow. So there isnt much place for it to go now. BTW I bought a gmc american. I dont think I will buy another american truck. There have been so many issues with it. My daily driver is a 31 year old Acura which besides some body rot, is all intact ( they used stainless on EVERYTHING) my GMC, is rusting to the dirt and its a 2004. I think Ill buy a toyota truck next. American car manufacturing really let me down on pickup trucks... -- Yes tangent.

But I don't wish to advertise which hoster we DO use. That information could be exploited by a malicious hacker.
I was under the impression that hosting information was generally public. The old Netcraft Site Reporter shows some other hosting information.

Needless to say, there seems to be some level of incompetence, which is enough reason not to name them as one should not F--- with he who holds your critical data.

Of course, if the site is intentionally hiding behind 7 proxies, that is cool.

3409369082_4fcfbbbe8b_o.jpg

I just want to know whom to avoid for my client's hosting possibilities. Whoever it is has been far from stellar lately.

I am in California, yesterday I considered going to the beach....

I am in Wisconsin. We got like 2". It's all gone now. I wish we had gotten 12 or 24. That doesn't cause service outages unless it happens in May when the trees have leaves.

I'll look into it.

I was out for 14 hours in my area of union..

I was out for 14 hours in my area of union..

during the past couple hurricanes that hit the east coast (sandy and Irene) I lost power for 11 days and 9 days. It really sucks having to take cold showes and having $500.00 worth of groceries go bad two years in a row.

Back