• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

iTS REALLY AN AMD WITH WIN 98

wdegroot

Experienced Member
after I had got to a certain point with the gateway 486, i needed a newer mb to boot from cd and clear a nasty virus from anything. ( hiren's older versions put you at no risk of re-infection) after everything was cleared. I noticed the hard drive mounted in the old ( my last remaining desktop)
It had win 98se which I had almost forgotten.
I started remebering thinsg as I struggled ( really) to make cards work. But things started slowly coming back.
Need a video card? Just keep trying cArds until one is recognized. need a Nic card? same here. finally it was on line.
Atomic clock sych updated hundreds of days ( since 2005)
ANG auto virus updated Once and then every three minuted wanted me to "upgrade to version 8) which does not work on 98se. I tried uninstalling it., it stopped in the middel. I edited the registry, I cleaned the start menu, I edited the boot log.
I could get to the desktop finally but it was not easy.
I tried booting from norton system works 2003.
I got a message but it would boot to windows ( hurens and ranish cd's did boot) I finally did a start/run and manually started it.,
ran win doctor., same things.
finally I d/l ver 7 from old version.com and carefully uninstalled it. finally it runs smoothly no warts.
I tried making a new cd of NSW 2003 but it was corrupted.
I had iso's and my 5 dvd's cannot be located.
but I found a 40g drive with a backup copy.
Thank me for taped on labels.

I really learnbed a lot revisting 98.
Now I have to figure out how to upgrade the video . I took the first card that worked. I will try a dozen or more including some agp cards. yes this sytem is old but a bit more than vintage. still 12 years old.
I really realize how much things have improved over the years. I recall being amazed at an old intel mb where everything worked after I installed 98. I was amazed then.
question ; what do you use for anti virus.
I do have a old leg;l copy of norton.

98 se and i added the un-official patch.

as I commented whan the intel mb ( 66 bus)
accempted everything without sweat I was maazed.
this time I sweated bullets.
I will want to add a better video card. hopefully it will look a bit better. The isa card is really from the early 1990's. MR says he has a basement of old pc;'s. he has no hot water because the gas man cannot get to the heater. ( 1 year)
we offered to bring them out here. we get $1-3 scrap price for a case. mb drives or not..
if someone has a scheme to install video cards
or a decent a-v program.

Other forum members have mentioned Clam AV is available for Win98. Some people just don't bother and have spare cloned drive. If things get real bad just format the drive and reimage it. Video cards shouldn't really be too much of an issue if you've got pci and apg to choose from. There's the SNAP display driver that works with a lot of them if you can't find a dedicated driver. I've not tried it on Windows but works a treat on OS/2 v4 boxes. I still run Kairo firewall on my Win98 box though it's not really needed. Do you have the theme that makes it look more like Win2k/XP?

Those Win98 machines make nice "tweeners" between more modern kit and older stuff.

Last edited:
This was my old (2005) system. after using the case and power supply to test other boards
I noticed the drive tucked in n the bottom slot of the case and hooked it up
Both of the previous mb had Dallas clocks. this mb different, has a cr2032. it took a whole, but as said keep trying cards unbtil one is recpgnized.
Most of the win 98 cd is located in c:\win98. so if dinds natively supported frivers.
after the third isa video card and the second ( 3 com) NIC card I went on the internet. During more drive tesating I removed the NIC and win 98 " forgot"
after soem struggle if found and I was able to get on the internet again. I use "atomic clock synch" to test this. also mozilla or IE4.
last night I got it to work and then oit sais Im muct re-install my NIC anfter that NOTHING. I put in another branbd NIC and it was back on now nothing again. I have removed devices and files and let it FIND things.
there must be a script of program to help
VIDEO ISSUES. hopefully a better newer video card will halp me see what is going on.
I am using a 17" imb lcd, it will do both kinds of video either vga or the newer one. fairly clear., better than a crt.
A friend hid these in the back of the furnace room when the compoany was going under and later got them back. they were considered obsolete then but work ok.

I am cloning the 98 drive and will work with the original ,. if it gets TOO messed up I will copy it back.

BUT there has to be an easier way.
98 is somewhat slow but works on this older pc.

I've the original win98 on a celery 300. Been on there since around 2002. Runs as fast as XP on this P4. Win2k might work quite well on your one.

Not sure about Win98, but Win95 controls many display settings from the registry

eg. for 1440*900 resolution:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0001\MODES\8\1440,900]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0001\MODES\16\1440,900]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0001\MODES\32\1440,900]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0001\TIMINGS\1440,900]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0001\TIMINGS\1440,900\60Hz]
@="1904,1520,1672,932,901,904,4,106470000,6000,8,24492"
"Supported"="BPP+8+16+32,DDRAW"

fOT convenience. I used a copy of my w 98se and 98 cd's
and ( i forget how) made them bootable.
I dug out all the old cd's and those marked bootable are NOT.
I think that most or all of my systems running early pentiums,
had the award 4.51 bios. you had to go into setup choose the second thing onb the left and + - cycle to the cd.c,a option.
there was no hot key like this one. many of the BOOTABLE cd's will not boot.
I will take them and try them on a newer pc.
I think they will AUTORUN when you put the cd in with windows running.
My usual plan was to copy d:\win98 to c:\win98.
the hard drive would be bootable with Himem.sys and smart drive.
this wal windows Thought all the cabs weree on c and I did not have to change to the cd when it needed a driver or update.

I still am having problems getting it on the internet
I dais then I did not and then I did
now it is not. XP is so much easier.
I will look for the snap video driver.

With older PCs, you needed to use a boot floppy disk to load the CD drivers, then usually use the DOS prompt (d:\setup.exe usually) to kick off a Win9x install.

Windows 98 boot disks are handy as they have MSCDEX in their autoexec.bat to load the CD driver automatically.

Back