• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Jack Tramiel, founder of Commodore Business Machines, dead at 83.

Yup... a guy that I loved and hated in equal measure... he brought Commodore to a historic run in the early 80's, and then proceeded to utterly kill my beloved Atari in the early 90's.

Maverick1978, I completely understand where you're coming from. One of my friends sent me the news with the phrase, "My condolences," and I had a hard time figuring out how I was supposed to feel.

Reading up a little more, I found it easier to understand the man. He was a good 20, 30 years older than his competitors and the people he was managing, and as an Auschwitz survivor, had seen and survived horrors that few other people had. And he was quietly grateful for the opportunities he received. Watching his 2007 interview at the celebration of the 64's 25th anniversary, lots of people asked him about Irving Gould, so he had ample opportunity to trash Gould--and Gould was dead, so it's not like he could defend himself anyway--and all Mr. Tramiel said was that the two of them had a disagreement.

I'm glad to see how widespread the story is. 24 hours ago, Mr. Tramiel and Commodore were forgotten. Today, he's suddenly a legend. I hope he stays that way. To hear most historians tell it, the 64 was just something else that competed unsuccessfully with the Apple II and IBM PC. I lived through the 1980s, and that wasn't how it was at all.

Back