• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Jameco JE664 EPROM Programmer

Doug_M

I picked up a Jameco JE664 EPROM programmer about 10 years ago. It didn't come with a manual or software and at the time I couldn't find either. Searching now all I see on the Net is my 10 year old unanswered post on an electronics forum asking for same. I see Jameco have an FTP site with old software. I was able to find DOS software for their JE680 but it isn't compatible with my model. U didn't see anything for the JE664 but then again most of the software is just labeled as what looks like a catalog number. Can anyone help me out? Or do you think this is destined to be a door stop? :)

Thanks,
Doug

Did you call or email Jameco? I've found them very responsive when I've needed to contact them.

Yes. They said they didn't have anything and to contact Needham Electronics as they sell the JE664. I don't see any Jameco products on their site or in their "legacy" downloads page, but I sent them a query anyway.

I doesn't look like a Needham's programmer. Logical Devices purchased Needham (or at least the name) and it looks more like one of their products.
There might be internal markings/labels that could give a hint as to who manufactured it.

Ironically there's one on Ebay currently, but doesn't seem to include a manual or software. You might message the seller.

Did you try hooking to the RS232 port? Might be simple command based.

- Gary

Yes. They said they didn't have anything and to contact Needham Electronics as they sell the JE664. I don't see any Jameco products on their site or in their "legacy" downloads page, but I sent them a query anyway.

It does have the Logic Devices look to it. I see it has
the configuration modules as well.
I've hacked the PB10 to debug my unit when it had a
7406 go bad ( wiped out 3 of my 2764's ).
I have a PromPro 7 someplace with no configuration modules.
I've never had time to figure that one out either but I've
used the PB10 so much that I've grown to like it.
Dwight

Did you try hooking to the RS232 port? Might be simple command based.

Thanks to archive.org an old magazine add for the serial board told me the settings are 9600,8O2. With that I can "talk" to the device but it just flashes and cyles hex numbers while outputting something unintelligible over the serial port that seems to be a high ascii character.

I opened it up and all boards are Jameco. I contacted Needham/Logical Devices via email but haven't got a response yet. They've got older model downloads on their sites but none are Jameco branded.

I have one NIB that I never looked at. No manual or software. Pulled it open.. what a kludge. I was expecting a microprocessor.. Nope, all discrete and it looks like the UART just drives the keypad and switches. The rs232 interface and keypad were separate products. I actually found a manual for the rs232 interface on ebay. About the only interesting thing about this is that it can program 2708s

JE664_1.jpg
JE664_2.jpg
JE664_3.jpg
je664_byte_nov85.jpg

Last edited:
The only Needham's programmers with a serial port I recall were the SA-10/20.

You might try that software on the long-shot that it had the same communication protocols.

Thanks, no joy. I got a response from Needham too. Not very helpful:

This model has been discontinued and no longer supported . Its equivalent is

And they attached a photo of a $300 USB model.

If the entire thing runs as states from the usart, one should be able to figure it out.
One still needs the configuration plug for each type of EPROM.
Dwight

If the entire thing runs as states from the usart, one should be able to figure it out.
One still needs the configuration plug for each type of EPROM.
Dwight

I got a bag of them with mine. Will probably trace them out at some point.

here's what they look like inside. the pcb is thin enough you can see both sides.
also, it doesn't have any smart programming algorithm, so each byte is going to be hit with a 1 or 2ms pulse
JE664_2716.jpg

Last edited:
8 bits with odd parity and two stop bits is not common. It's entirely possible to be right, but I wouldn't put big money on it at this point.

If the serial settings were incorrect, I'd expect to see what you're seeing. So before you go too far it might pay to try out other settings.

It sounds weird, but I've run into it before where even a major manufacturer always gets serial parameters wrong. Mitsubishi is great for this.

I doubt the machine is ascii. My bet, without a uP to interpret, it is
just a simple command/data type operation. They may even be using
one of the handshake lines to select commands and data.
All the smarts would be in at the PC end.
Dwight

8-O-2 is indeed "odd". I should have paid more attention to the RS-232 pins when I had it open, but it is only wired to about 4 of them if I recall. I played around with a boat load of bauds and settings before I discovered the add with 9600 8-O-2 and nothing worked. But truth be told neither did 9600 8-O-2 on my 486. It wasn't until I tried 9600 8-O-2 on my Kaypro that I got somewhere. Though that could just be the cable as each machine has its own and perhaps one is a "null" and the other isn't. Anyway, when I get the time I'll use the Kaypro and try various comms parameters to see if I can get further. But at this point I'm guessing it will remain an "oddity" and spare parts unit.

Back