• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

January 1975 Popular Electronics

jim hughes

I have a copy of this issue - the one with the Altair 8800 on the cover - that's been on my shelf for all these years. It's in just about perfect condition. I know it has some collector value, and I could just put it on Ebay, but first I'm looking for actual user forums.

I'm a recently retired software engineer. I was 24 when this magazine hit the stands, and would have wanted an 8800 but was not in a position to buy one. But I remember the 'buzz' very well. I'd like to make a few bucks from this issue, but I'd also like it to go to an actual 8800 owner and not some collector or dealer.

Is anyone here interested in it, or have suggestions for selling it?

Interested

Interested

I have a copy of this issue - the one with the Altair 8800 on the cover - that's been on my shelf for all these years. It's in just about perfect condition. I know it has some collector value, and I could just put it on Ebay, but first I'm looking for actual user forums.

I'm a recently retired software engineer. I was 24 when this magazine hit the stands, and would have wanted an 8800 but was not in a position to buy one. But I remember the 'buzz' very well. I'd like to make a few bucks from this issue, but I'd also like it to go to an actual 8800 owner and not some collector or dealer.

Is anyone here interested in it, or have suggestions for selling it?

Jim,

Id be interested - Send me a note if its still available. sshader@hotmail.com

@Bill

Love that SouthWest Technical terminal setup advertised on that page! I wonder if anybody bought one.

I shared working space with teletypes for a good part of my youth - the sound of one still makes my nostrils flare..

Rick

Love that SouthWest Technical terminal setup advertised on that page! I wonder if anybody bought one.

I did. Originally it was configured as 16 rows of 32 characters and 2 pages (remember, this was supposed to drive a TV--I used a modified Zenith portable (vacuum tube) set with mine; the hot chassis made life interesting). I modified mine to display 64 character lines on a single page. I also added recognition for a few codes, such as form feed (clear screen).

The terminal is long gone (but for the power supply); the last part of it, the 2102 SRAM board went to another collector a couple of years ago. The keyboard was really, really awful--individual key switches that had a terrible feel.

I probably still have the assembly instructions kicking around. Those 2102's ran very very hot.

@Bill

Rick

I built one of those from a kit when I was around 13. Had it hooked up to a KIM-1 expanded with an 8KB board running BASIC. Traded that setup in towards an Apple II+ a couple years later. Wish I would have kept that setup.

Back