• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Japanese 'Engineered' Solder Sucker

W.R.T. the thread title, my "Engineer" brand solder sucker came in last week. I've used it some over the past days, and so far I really like it! Much better than the black antistatic spring-type solder sucker I'd been keeping for desoldering really big parts or using on the road. It's still not the Hakko 472D, but that's not its purpose. The silicone tubing tip works excellent, much better than the hard Teflon tips usually found on these types of tools. Every now and then, a chunk will require a pinch to clear out of the silicone tubing, if it's really jammed in there, the clearing pin just causes the tubing to stretch. Conmega suggested maybe cutting the tubing down a little to avoid/reduce this, I haven't tried that yet.

OD isn't as important as the ID in this case. Probably no larger ID than 5/32". Depends on what you're trying to suck out. The 1mm tip on the S-993A I just got ought to be enough for most jobs, but some larger lugs, like power terminals or the ground clips for DB-9/15/25/etc connectors might still warrant the manual pump.

Back