• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just aquired Xenix 386 2.3

natcha

Experienced Member
After watching ebay for some time, I finally aquired a complete Xenix 386 2.3 package including disks and manuals. I took a chance on it since I wasn't sure it would have the Activation codes. Got lucky - the original pink card with the activation codes was included.

Other than using an image program to create images of all the disks, are there any other precautions I should take before attempting an install?

Which image program should I use? Rawrite? The disks are 3.5", 720K.

I'm looking forward to installing it to a compact flash card and then trying it out on my Omnibook 430.

I used xenix 286 back in the early 90's with my ham radio TCP/IP NOS programs. so looking forward to playing around with it again.

Does anyone have any Xenix programs - would need to be 3.5" disks since I don't have a system with 5-1/4 drive. The development system would be great to have, but I remember that there was a lot of commercial programs available also.

Thanks,
Bill, WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

I played around with 386 Zenix but since I did not have the TCP/IP and streams packages it was kind of limiting .

I played around with 386 Zenix but since I did not have the TCP/IP and streams packages it was kind of limiting .

Yep, I agree it is limiting unless you have the TCP disks and the development set.

I'm kind of on a quest to see how many different operating systems I can load onto the Omnibook 430. So far, I've several versions of MSDOS (no big deal), Win 3.1, win 3.11 for workgroups, Win95 (not very usefull at all), CPM/86, Slackware Linux 7.1.

Hopefully, Xenix will be next. I also have a copy of OS/2 that I want to try.

Bill, WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

Back