• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just came back-- holy cow! Looks nice...

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
Erik, the site look sgreat, but there's my favorite button missing-- get new posts since last visit. Would there be any way to get it back? Of ALL the things on the site I loved that one the best.

/edit Okay, just foudn the What's New button/link up top. Whew! I thought I was losing it. :D

Upper left under the logo (which now has to be redone) is a "new posts" link which works the same. . . :)

Man do I have my work cut out for me. . .

I dislike change as a rule.That said,this overhaul Looks Great!I'll have to relearn how stuff works,but no problem,you did good!
cgrape2

Looks good. More coherent design. :)

But, where's the date on the main page? To me the main page is the one you get when clicking "What's New?". Oh well, I'll just have to trust that the software puts them in chronological order - probably a safe assumption. :) I see one more thing which is functionally different. It now takes two clicks to get to the reply box.

All in all it looks neater and clearer.

PS: that jumping up and down emoticon on the left is gone from the side of the reply box. GOOD!! It is really difficult to think with one of those on the page. Is there any way the jumping up and down ones could be eliminated all together? That would be the biggest improvement that could ever happen to this forum. IMnotsoHO. :p

Can't lay my finger on it but have to admit its Not My Thing I'm afraid.
Maybe its the lack of contrast. My eyes wander all over the place.

Might get used to it I hope.. or are choosable skins an option?

I like it.
Looks much cleaner.

(When Terry Yager eventually logs back in, he's going to be in for one a hell of a shock !)

Last edited:
it looks ok to me, I personally liked the old layout better.

Right, the new layout is a bit, well, strange. :)

I also get the same permission error as Bad Sector.

Can I get a something darker theme? The new one is really pain in my eyes.

Change is inevitable, I suppose - but I don't like it. I'm with Jorg, not enough contrast.
It's like going from a nifty desk top case to one of those flat panel computers with everything built in, arrg!
I can get used to finding where now do I click and all, but this new look is too 'flat' - needs some 3D button look, or something to give it some contrast.
I guess what I'm saying is that . . . . it's like a new pair of shoes. I guess they'll wear in eventually.
The colors are cool - just needs some button look :)

Edit: I just went to my profile and upon clicking on 'Find All Post' - I notice that the posts have been reset. Although I've posted 225 times, only 1 is now available.
Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I just quickly logged in from work. I'm impressed with the new layout. :) Like many of us, I'll have to find my bearings a bit, but I'm sure it won't take long for me to acclimatize.

Well done! :)

I like the new appearance. The only minor issue I noticed was the difference in color between the vintage computer logo and the blue bar at the top of the page. It just doesn't look right. (Maybe if it had some kind of a border around the image? Rounded corners?)

Otherwise though, I like it!

Edit: on second thought, it looks a bit too busy. We should just go back to a text-only bbs for the next upgrade. </joke>

Last edited:
For some of us geezers with bad eyes, the new look is not so good. The font appears to be a couple of points smaller--I'm struggling to read this on a 20" monitor. And the type on the main forum page is not only smaller, but light blue on a white background is definitely low-contrast.

That being said, the new look is somewhat cleaner, but the efficiency of the display (pixels dedicated per topic) seems to be lower.

The "Home" button should take you to the CMS (Content Management System) home page which will, hopefully, be a generalized Vintage Computer news/info/RSS Feed page.

There should be some new skins available that I can add to give y'all some more contrast or a somewhat different layout. I'll check on those.

I'm pretty sure all of the old messages from the previous version of the forum were moved over. If you can't find a specific one please let me know.

The "Home" button should take you to the CMS (Content Management System) home page which will, hopefully, be a generalized Vintage Computer news/info/RSS Feed page.

There should be some new skins available that I can add to give y'all some more contrast or a somewhat different layout. I'll check on those.

I'm pretty sure all of the old messages from the previous version of the forum were moved over. If you can't find a specific one please let me know.

Keep getting the No Permission eror as well, Erik. It happens when I navigater from the main vintage-computer by clicking the Forum link. Otherwise looking good. :)

Keep getting the No Permission eror as well, Erik. It happens when I navigater from the main vintage-computer by clicking the Forum link. Otherwise looking good. :)

Once you're logged in (and you've clicked "keep me logged in") you shouldn't see that message. . .

One thing to consider, and this is a quirk with various browsers, is that www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum is a different site than vintage-computer.com/vcforum. If you use the latter to log in and to stay logged in when you link from the main page you won't be logged in because it uses the former address (fully qualified with the www.)

The layout is clean and friendly to be sure, I may have to change me resolution to 800x600 to read the text. I don;t know if its the colors or the text size, but its a real stab in the eye now.

-Lance

Even though the web is a big place, there does seem to be design trends (remember 3-d backgrounds back in the mid 1990s?). This new look is reflecting that design trend. I lack the vocabulary to describe it but low contrast, small fonts and more subtle graphics seem to be part of it.

Personally I have neural feelings towards it. I can still find and read the forums ok. The only thing I do have negative feelings about is the tiny default font when replying to a post. Like ChuckG, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Tez

I'll be looking into skins to address the fonts, etc.

Two new features to be aware of:

Every registered user now has a Blog on the forums. You should be able to post there and have other users comment. . . this isn't a whole lot different than posting a message, but the blog is more of a personal space, I guess.

Also, the administrative staff has the ability to push a post onto the home page as an article. So, if someone (such as yourself) writes up something cool, ping us and we can promote it.

For instance, a nice recap of the plastic de-yellowing technique could be bumped to the front page as an article. It would, of course, still be a message. . .

The only thing I do have negative feelings about is the tiny default font when replying to a post. Like ChuckG, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

If you hit "go advanced" you'll be taken to the advanced post editor which does seem to have a bigger font.

You've always got the browser magnification (Ctrl + in most browsers.)

Back