• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got a HP 100LX 1MB

The 200LX will read up to a 4 GB Sandisk SDCFB/SDCFJ card,
with the appropriate driver.

Mine does, anyway. I'm pretty sure the 100LX will too.

Jack
Once I copied over and installed the ACECARD3 driver mine would recognize the larger cards I had, however without a working CF card first I couldn't get it onto the 100LX, so it was a catch22, but the 32mb card bridged that gap, allowed me to copy over the driver and get larger cards recognized.

That said, this is still an 80186, 640k, CGA, MS-DOS rig, its not like I need THAT large of a card in it, 32mb might be a bit on the small side, but I think a 1gb card is way too much, lol

Also, I have heard that the 200/700LX has broader CF card compatibility than the 100LX does, but I believe the ACECARD3 driver levels that play field fairly well.

Last edited:
Wow, a 4GB card on that thing. I have a 16MB on my 700LX, and have barely scratched the surface on that. Not sure what you would do with GBs of space. I think most people use those cards out of convenience since they don't have lesser storage CFs handy.

WinBox/My Computer says my 4 GB card has ~ 3.5 GB free.

Because "small" files waste so much space, you might get as
much effective storage with a smaller card and allocation unit
size.

A card readable without ACECARD3, with your C:\ backed up,
is a good idea, if you like to pgm on the HP away from home...

Last edited:
Since you are having fun with 3.0 on HP. How about trying minix 2.0.2? I have several pre-configured 8, 20, 30, 32 and 40 mb versions for the LX. These use the DOS filesystem for minix, so will boot on almost any dos machine. I used to play with it on a Sharp PC-3000.

Just did a google search and can't find the page where I got these files. If anyone wants a copy of them, let me know.

Bill

Bill - I'd very much like these files.

Jack, please send me an email where you want the file sent:

Note:
8Meg Minux = 3 meg zip file
20 M = 9 meg
30 M = 6 Meg
32 M = 7 Meg
40 M = 6 Meg.

Not sure why the differences in file sizes - somtimes larger is smaller.

Please let me know which one you want. Aldo, Make sure your email system can receive both zip file and large file size.

Bill

Jack, please send me an email where you want the file sent:

Note:
8Meg Minux = 3 meg zip file
20 M = 9 meg
30 M = 6 Meg
32 M = 7 Meg
40 M = 6 Meg.

Not sure why the differences in file sizes - somtimes larger is smaller.

Please let me know which one you want. Aldo, Make sure your email system can receive both zip file and large file size.

Bill
If you want to send them all to me I can repost them on my webhost you can try sending them to my gmail ryanw821 at gmail dot com, I think it will do up to like 25mb per message. From there I will post them to my webhost and then link it here in the forum (I may rezip them with 7zip, its cut some previous zip files in half).

If you want to send them all to me I can repost them on my webhost you can try sending them to my gmail ryanw821 at gmail dot com, I think it will do up to like 25mb per message. From there I will post them to my webhost and then link it here in the forum (I may rezip them with 7zip, its cut some previous zip files in half).

Okay, I'll send you the files one at a time. Please let me know whecn youreceive each one and then I'll send you the next one. Hopefully they'll all pass through gmail okay.

Bill

Okay, I'll send you the files one at a time. Please let me know whecn youreceive each one and then I'll send you the next one. Hopefully they'll all pass through gmail okay.

Bill
I got the first one and 7-zipped it and its down from 2.66mb to 1.58mb. I have it up available at http://acrpc.net/hp-lx/minix for now its just a directory listing, but eventually I might build a page around it.

Was able to download the files this evening.

Thanks to both of you...

Jack

I have come across the same info in my searches now, the HP-95 is a different design than the 100/200/700 series, different CPU, different screen, not very PC compatible (no PC graphics modes, so only DOS text apps worked IIRC)

As far as PC graphics modes then yes, however LX only applications, or the few PC Applications that include the LX mode driver, can have some nice graphics on the 95lx. There's a DOS tetris clone out there that has the LX graphics option that I have on mine.

As far as PC graphics modes then yes, however LX only applications, or the few PC Applications that include the LX mode driver, can have some nice graphics on the 95lx. There's a DOS tetris clone out there that has the LX graphics option that I have on mine.
I guess I wasn't aware of any 3rd party games that supported LX screen mode of the 95lx, good to know.

I had an HP 100LX back when they were new (and I was a young road warrior) It was great for running data for my customers and it was in my pocket...

I remember running the software for a piece of automotive equipment I was selling at the time... it would run it, slowly, but it allowed me to troubleshoot the computer the customer had.

It was more flexible and capable than the 300lx that replaced it (when I broke it badly)... very disappointed with CE...

It will run pretty much any dos program you can find...

If you didn't find a serial cable, I'll look around, I think I kept all the accessories off it when it died.. but that was quite a few years ago now... man I miss that machine...

...man I miss that machine...

Plenty of them still out there - Don't deprive yourself :)

Jack

...man I miss that machine...

Plenty of them still out there - Don't deprive yourself :)

Jack
Exactly!! I didn't pay ALL that much for mine, granted I didn't get any accessories, but just a bare 100LX, but still fun to play with, transfer stuff back and forth via PCMCIA cardslot on my laptop, so really dont need much beyond a PCMCIA card (or smaller CF card and an adapter)

Back