• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just so y'all know what I'm up to.

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Some of you know that I was forced to place the bulk of my collection (along with much of everything else I own) into inaccessible storage several years ago in an effort to sell my house.

Well, the house never sold, my daughter was born and things got busy. So the stuff stayed in storage.

Well, we finally decided to pull it to save the monthly fees. The first of two loads arrived today.

garage1.jpg

This is one half of my garage. Much of the stuff on the right was already there. For the past month I've been sorting through and compressing that part of the collection in preparation for getting all of the new old stuff back out. The new boxes now fill the garage. . . ugh.

garage2.jpg

The other side of the garage contains more stuff. I'm sure there are some household items scattered amongst the various boxes full of computers, but not many.

office.jpg

And finally, my office. The bulk of the green file boxes on the wall are full of vintage magazines. Pretty much every issue of Byte, Microcomputing, Interface Age, Creative Computing, ROM, Dr. Dobb's, PC, PC World, PC Age, Softalk, PC Tech Journal, Computer Notes and so on, and so on, and so on reside in those boxes.

Also, tons of manuals for S-100 cards, Altair systems and the like.

It's going to take me weeks to go through all of this. . .

The rest of the stuff arrives next Saturday.

alexkerhead said:
Erik, i envy you.

For God's sake why? I've got 5 days of hell ahead of me followed by another round next weekend. . . and that's just for the household stuff. It'll be months before I'm out from under the computer gear.

I take it that ain't paper in those stacked up boxes in your
study! :-D Oops - so it is (it's just not blank)! :)

I've put my magazines in one of those wooden chests (a medium
I think - though you can get large ones). You wouldn't know
they were there unless you open it up! :-D

CP/M User.

alexkerhead said:
Because you won't be bored. ^_^

Not bored, but truly exhausted.

I did find an SGI Indy system that I'd completely forgotten about. Big monitor, slab, external SCSI drive, etc. I haven't located the keyboard or software yet, but it's in there.

Exhumed so far (partial list)

• Compupro 8/16
  • Ace 1000
  • Apple Lisa 2
  • SGI Indi
  • bits of my Microvax system
  • A couple of C64s, one in great shape, one nicked up.
  • A Mac Plus
  • NIB TI 99/4a
  • NIB Grid (later pen model)
  • NIB Sharp PC-5000
  • HP85 (finally took some pictures of that one)
  • Busted Chicklet Pet 2001
  • Pet 8032 (still working!)
  • Vic 20 setup
  • AIM 65
  • Apple //e
  • A couple of Apple monitors
  • A pile of apple 5.25" drives
  • A few more that I've forgotten, I'm sure, but that hits the highlights
And that's in my garage time between sorting through the household items.

More tomorrow, but now it's time for bed. . .

Well, look at the semi-good (or most likely bad) side Erik! Now you can't give me the excuse that "it's* in storage"! LOL:p

Plus, you get to add new additions to your website!:p

*"It" meaning whatever

And my wife was complaining about my measley twelve boxes of computer stuff. Little does she know. But I have a lot smaller place, too. I applaud you for the patience, Erik. It's a labor of love.

Nathan

Chris2005 said:
Yo Erik. The monitor below the box of Huggies looks like it's for a Victor 9000. Is it so?

Yep. The rest of the system is further back in the pile. :)

I wonder what's worse, to have a garage full of boxes worth of computers or have a garage full of unpacked computers and shelves everywhere.

I just uncovered an old 486 chassis (unknown speed) which is basically a coverless case with most of what you'd need to run. 2 SIMS (unknown size) on the MB plus a card or two. A floppy drive, PS, etc.

If anyone wants it you can have it for shipping. I'll pull parts from the box if you'd like to avoid shipping the case and/or PS.

Erik, you have NeXT boxes. Why do you have NeXT boxes & have no NeXT's on your website!?
*Runs in corner & starts crying out of fear*

By the way, now where will you park your P!MP-M0B!13?

atari2600a said:
Erik, you have NeXT boxes. Why do you have NeXT boxes & have no NeXT's on your website!?

The NeXT boxes are for NeXT laser printers I got a deal on several years back. I was hoping to use them on PCs, but as it turns out they have a proprietary interface and only work with NeXT machines.

Such is life, I guess.

I have a NeXT slab somewhere but it has no peripherals at all. It came as part of another deal and I couldn't see it trashed.

Someday I'd love to get a NeXT cube. . . but not until I make some room.

atari2600a said:
By the way, now where will you park your P!MP-M0B!13?

The car is over in my Mother-in-law's garage for the time being. Once I've cleaned out enough junk I'll bring her home.

Oh yes, the NeXTstation Color that was donated from the university's math department to the computer club came with a virtually pristine NeXT laser printer. Although it had not been used for at least five years, it still worked but print quality was not comparable with newer HP LaserJets at that time. They claimed at some point the Uni had spent close to 100,000 SEK ($15,000) on the NeXT with equipment, which probably is true but the big question is why. In 2002, we had a big clean-up and donated a lot of systems including this one among the members. I'm not sure who ended up with it.

For the curious:

I've unpacked just about all of the boxes now and have the stuff scattered randomly throughout the garage. I've got to get it organized now so I can get the next load in on Friday.

The bookcase is going in my office to hold some of the magazines. There is another one arriving with Friday's load.

unpacking.jpg

unpacking2.jpg

unpacking3.jpg

As of right now I'm pretty sure I have the following available:

Apple //e
IBM PC AT
DEC Microvax/Vaxstation w/tons of external drives, etc. SW/Docs galore. Local pickup highly recommended!
Osborne 1
Osborne 1a
Apple ///
Mac Plus 1MB
Mac 512K
one of the above is boxed and comes with an external HD.
I may offer up a couple of my PC clone portables as well. Not sure yet.

Back