• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Kapro II Mother Board Service ---Looking

Dougtronics

Experienced Member
My Kapro II mother board with 81-146 & 81-149 was determined that it cannot communicate or control the floppy disk drives. I think there is something wrong with the disk controller on the motherboad. Can anybody offer repair or service?

Dougtronics

I wonder is there a Sam Computerfact ever issued on Kaypro II

Dougtronics

Last edited:
Quickie response

Quickie response

Hi !

You may want to just replace the chips involved.

Jameco and others supply such chips still and they are very inexpensive [many less than $1 and even in the 25 cents range].

During the Kaypro era, they could go for $25 and above each !!! So just replacement was not as reasonable.

Are the chips just loose in the sockets? You may want to just remove them and reinsert them to help clean up the contacts between the chips and the socket contacts.

Note, these early Kaypros are now over 25 years old. Who knew they would last this long. A lot can happen to computer systems in such a long time frame.

Any history on your Kaypros as clues to what might be some of the issues???

If the chips are soldered in, then it is more difficult to replace them.

Such chips were an issue with many earlier Kaypros, but relatively easily resolved in many cases.

Much more specific details on your Kaypro issues in this matter may help others to respond.

Sharkonwheels is a good source on this site for Kaypro info. Just do a search on his posts and contact him even.

Good luck !

Frank

P.S.

More info if you seach this site under Kaypro - one thread last holiday season involved Yezza's disk drive issues.

Hi !

Jameco and others supply such chips still and they are very inexpensive [many less than $1 and even in the 25 cents range].

During the Kaypro era, they could go for $25 and above each !!! So just replacement was not as reasonable.

Are the chips just loose in the sockets? You may want to just remove them and reinsert them to help clean up the contacts between the chips and the socket contacts.

Note, these early Kaypros are now over 25 years old. Who knew they would last this long. A lot can happen to computer systems in such a long time frame.

Such chips were an issue with many earlier Kaypros, but relatively easily resolved in many cases.

Much more specific details on your Kaypro issues in this matter may help others to respond.

Sharkonwheels is a good source on this site for Kaypro info. Just do a search on his posts and contact him even.

Good luck !

Frank

P.S.

More info if you seach this site under Kaypro - one thread last holiday season involved Yezza's disk drive issues.

I will try your "just remove them and reinsert them to help clean up the contacts between the chips and the socket contacts" technique this long weekend.

Dougtronics

Hi !

Good luck !

Frank

P.S.

I have completed your suggestion of "to just remove them and reinsert them to help clean up the contacts between the chips and the socket contacts", however, the motherboard is still not working to communicate with the disk drives. I just finished building my logic probe, hope to have something like the Sam's computer photofacts.

Dougtronics

Some time ago, I found the title of this book:

Chilton's Guide to Kaypro Repair and Maintenance
by Gene B. Williams

hope it helps!

ziloo

Thanks, I have that book. You would believe it, when it comes to the motherboard or main board. It just tell you to replace it. I have two of this borads that are not communicating with the drives. This give me a tick to find out why. I am thinking about to build a logic pulser so that I can probing around to see what is happening.

Dougtronics

I had one like this, too

I had one like this, too

I have a Kaypro IIx (or is it a II?) and had the exact same problem. I seem to recall that there were two primary chips in the disk controller, the WD1771 (or 1773) and a smaller data separator chip.

I ended up replacing the motherboard with an eBay purchase!

I have a Kaypro IIx (or is it a II?) and had the exact same problem. I seem to recall that there were two primary chips in the disk controller, the WD1771 (or 1773) and a smaller data separator chip.

I ended up replacing the motherboard with an eBay purchase!

Hi Matt,

I am interested in how you determine is those chips. There are two WD chips found in Kaypro WD-9216 and WD-1943. I will try to replace those chips otherwise I am thinking to buy a PC scope in the near future. It should be fun.

Dougtronics

Info on 2 chips that control disks on kaypro ii's

Info on 2 chips that control disks on kaypro ii's

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hi again !

=======================================================

Just to get any “legal issues” out of the way first, since we are in such a litigious society that can inhibit the free flow of info between helpful people of “goodwill” –

DISCLAIMER – as with all my posts, publications, information provided, etc. -

I can have no liability / expense in any way and in any form for what I voluntarily provide to you or anyone else, even if requested.

It is offered in “good faith” and “as is” from the information I have available to me at the time it is provided.

Use it at “totally your own risk.”

If you do not agree with this, then just do not use this information.

Also check my other disclaimers on this site, my web site, my books, etc.

I have not heard of any such issues developing, but we all have to be very careful in this regard.

Keep in mind that there are certain hazardous aspects, especially electrical, with such projects and computers.

Also, I do not know what your specific technical, experience, training, abilities, etc. are.

If you do not feel comfortable with starting any of these projects, then try to find and hire someone competent and trained in these areas to do it for you.

Also, these older computers may have certain issues just because of their age and because you may not be aware of how others may have used, treated, modified, etc. them.

In addition, there is always the possibility of unintended and even unknown consequences depending on many factors.

Erik may even want to include a similar disclaimer on this web site for all posts.

========================================================

That said, moving on, if it is still an option.

Welcome to the “world of vintage computer troubleshooting !!!”

It can be a very challenging intellectual exercise – like a crime investigation !

1] From the other thread you have on the Tandons, glad to hear they are working ok and it is just the Kaypro main board you mention is the issue.

2] Many times in troubleshooting, it is initially best to use the “KIS” principle – “keep it simple!”

3] A] So I assume you checked all the connections / cables to the main board, especially at J6 where the disk drive cable is attached to the main board. Also, I assume you checked all the connections to the disk drives and the cables themselves.

B] Like with the chips, some corrosion and / or bent pins can be issues.

C] Wires & cables, especially the plastic insulation, besides the connectors themselves, can deteriorate also over 25 years.

D] Also, any cracks in the main board can damage the traces & connections.

4] A] Swapping “good” parts for questionable parts is another useful strategy

B] So sounds like from your latest post you have two [2] main boards now and both do not work with the disk drives in your Kaypro, when you swapped them. Do either of them or both work in a known working Kaypro? I believe in another post you said you had a friend who had a working Kaypro.

5] You may want to just initially pick a few of the chips that are the “most likely issues” to check and possibly replace, if you can find new or working ones –

NOTE – YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOU ARE GROUNDED TO MINIMIZE ANY STATIC ELECTRIC ISSUES WHEN YOU WORK WITH THE CHIPS AND IN SOME OTHER AREAS – A GROUNDING STRAP IS VERY USEFUL – E.G., RADIO SHACK HAS THEM AMONG OTHER SOURCES – YOU COULD EVEN MAKE YOUR OWN POSSIBLY, BUT THEY ARE INEXPENSIVE – YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW THIS, SINCE YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE SOME TECHNICAL EXPERTISE FROM YOUR POSTS

6] Basically, there are two [2] main chips that can affect the drives – both are in the lower right corner of the main board, as you look at the front of the Kaypro.

At U82 – the floppy disk controller FD1793 – it is a large chip - if it is the 1797 version, it may have issues

At U 88 – FDC 9216 data separator – it is a very small chip.

7] The 1985 book you have by Williams is the best I have ever seen! He has a picture of the main board on page #77 and notes the 1793 chip with respect to swapping it out with a good one.

8] A] The 1793 chip cost about $80 in the 1980’s he notes, so replacing one to see if it was the issue was not very attractive then. New Kaypros cost around $2000 [in 1980’s dollars – multiply by about 2.3 for today’s approximate dollars] at that time and main boards about $300 - $400, with some credit for the old one.

B] Few can realistically diagnose main board issues and actually fix them, especially today with respect to such old technology, so that is why many just suggest replacing them then and now.

C] But today, such working main boards may be very difficult to find, although one of the responses to your post did find one on eBay.

9] Microcornucopia said the cost of this chip was about $35 in 1985 in an article on troubleshooting such issues. They also noted that Kaypro got a lot of “flaky” SMC 9216 data separators that caused a lot of issues.

10] But I could not currently find these chips as replacements at Jameco and Mouser.

11] You could do a post on this web site for them and join Dave’s Dunfield’s email list at www.classiccomp.org, along with other sites. Some very knowledgeable Kaypro people regularly post on Dave’s list about Kaypro issues, as on this site. A Google search may turn up some other even newer active sites as sources for old chips and Kaypro information.

12] Chips from another working Kaypro, if you can get one, could be used to swap in to see if either of these chips are indeed the specific issue.

13] Among some of my computer related publications, I even published a short note in Micro Cornucopia in 1987 on the 1793 chip that I found was also an issue with working drives, when I upgraded our six [6] Kaypro II /4 ’ s to Kaypro “ 8 “ ‘s, according to Micro Cornucopia information and parts.

14] Of course, the large Z-80 chips may be issues also –

At U54 & U72 - the two Z-80 PIO’s

At U63 – the Z-80 CPU – naturally

At U70 – the Z-80 SIO - possibly

These are still only a few dollars at Jameco.

15] A] From info you gave on U43 & U47, it looks like you have a “real” 1983 Kaypro II. It was good you knew to list these and got the Williams book. Shows you did some “homework !”

B] U47 - Monitor ROM 81-149 – but does it have a “C” after it – stamped on with what may look like a rubber stamp – it may be in red – it may be about ½ “ in size –
A & B versions may have issues

C] U43 – Character ROM 81-146 is correct for your main board.

16] Also check the main board on the back side near the serial port – it should say
81-110 – and a “ B1 ” might be after the 5 digits – it is designated as an obsolete board, but many such Kaypros have it and it can work – mine do ! However, it is difficult to get to this section of the board – you even have to lift up or remove the copper colored metal shield on the back after you remove the main board.

17] The 81-240 boards usually have it noted on the front of the board at the lower right corner [e.g., page #77 in Williams book]. According to the Micro Cornucopia upgrade booklet, if the chip at U47 was an 81-232 and not 81-149, then you would really have a Kaypro 4. These could easily be upgraded to Kaypro “8 ‘s ” by just adding the Micro Cornucopia chip. Kaypro II’s were more complex to upgrade.

18] CP / M version to use should be 2.2F for both of these boards.

19] You may also want to download the free technical manual for Kaypros at www.bitsavers.org. Since you are so committed to Kaypros and seem to have some technical background, you should find it very helpful – schematics, diagnostics, test methods, etc. Many more details are available on this bitsaver site on this vintage computer and other sites, besides a Google search, naturally.

20] Dave has all the issues of Micro Cornucopia. If they are ever made available, like bitsavers is doing, they can provide a great deal of more specific information on Kaypros. Lists of authors and topics, about 400 pages, were recently referenced on this www.vintage-computer.com site as free downloads. Many other topics on computers of that era were covered, besides Kaypro however, in Micro Cornucopia.

21] I disposed of my issues many years ago regrettably!

22] I was surprised you did not get more responses to this post!. Maybe the others missed it, especially those who responded to your Tandon posts.

23] All this is only a start – but may help. Please share your results, so this “thread” can be helpful to others who may now or in the future be in the same or similar situation.

24] I have done many Tandon drive fixes / alignments, so just be thankful you have someone to do it for you, in case you need it in the future. Besides all the tech info, you need special tools, parts, software, patience, temperament, etc. to really do it right / completely and be successful.

25] Again, there are many posts on Kaypro issues on this site and Dave’s already. Therefore, a search can be very worthwhile, so you and responders are not “recreating the wheel” of the same requests / information over and over again.

26] A] You can search under “Tezza” [I made the mistake of typing “ Y ”ezza in my post to you earlier] and his Kaypro issues around the 2008 Christmas / New Years holidays. It was a very popular and big thread with many specific details that may be useful, both now and in the future. He had disk drive issues also with his new / old “special” Kaypro.

B] We even discovered that in that area of the world, some made existing computers “look like” Kaypros, since Kaypros were so rare there. Tezza’s pictures show his is a very rare “real” Kaypro however, apparently!

27] My web site – WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG is very limited on Kaypros, since it also covers my decades of Science, Technology and Society [STS – hence the name KAYPRO + STS] research. But the pictures in the 2008 Calendar in the folder “ Special “ may help you find certain items on your Kaypro. The draft of my Kaypro book is also there, if you are interested in some of the history of that era. Two publishers are now reviewing it for possible publication. I gave a talk on it at the 2008 Trenton [NJ] Computer Festival and a copy of the draft is on their 2008 Festival CD.

28] A] My book documents some of the great confusion during those hectic years [Osborne’s “hypergrowth” term] concerning different models, versions, modifications, etc., both documented and undocumented, of computers like the Kaypro, made in a great rush to fill tremendous unprecedented demands at that time for such computers.

B] This is in addition to any of the many modifications that others may have made to these computers later, especially to try to keep them current with many rapidly new computer developments – e.g., the Kaypro “ 8 “ upgrades !

C] That is what can make it so difficult in “troubleshooting” issues. You may not be working with the Kaypro model / version / modification, etc. you think you are. So detailed specific information on any history and other aspects of the Kaypro you have can greatly assist in not wasting resources with respect to managing such issues. Pictures can be of tremendous help – e.g., Tezza’s Kaypro noted above.

29] A] Thus, we get into such long posts. I do fewer, but longer. You seem to have done some “homework” and seem committed, so I took the time to do this detailed response for you and others who have or will have similar issues.

B] Of course, when the issue is finally resolved, many times with the benefit of eventual “20 / 20 hindsight,” the resolution of the issue seems so obvious – how could we have missed it ? Again, welcome to “troubleshooting vintage computers !” But that is just part of the “fun” of it.

All the best and please let us know more detailed specifics about your Kaypro, especially any past history / pictures, etc., so we may be able to be of more assistance, besides reporting the results of “your adventures in troubleshooting Kaypros” for the benefit of all !

This all aids in the “knowledge base” we are all establishing on this and other sites for the preservation of actual “working” vintage computers for the future.

Frank

Hi
One other thing is that it could just be a bad address decoder
and not the controller. Logic probe is the best way to analyse
this.
I also recommend using a PROM programmer as a debugging
tool. This working in conjunction with a logic probe or scope
can be a vary powerful combination. You'd need schematics
and a little assembly code knowledge as well.
Dwight

I have a document (can't remember where I got it) that has schematics for the Kaypro II (among others).
PM me your email address, and I'll send you an email with the doc as an attachment.

EDIT:
Never mind emailing me - I remembered where I got the docs.
They're from the PDF Archive at www.bitsavers.org

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hi again !

Just to get any “legal issues” out of the way first, since we are in such a litigious society that can inhibit the free flow of info between helpful people of “goodwill” –

DISCLAIMER – as with all my posts, publications, information provided, etc. -

I can have no liability / expense in any way and in any form for what I voluntarily provide to you or anyone else, even if requested.

It is offered in “good faith” and “as is” from the information I have available to me at the time it is provided.

Use it at “totally your own risk.”

If you do not agree with this, then just do not use this information.

Also check my other disclaimers on this site, my web site, my books, etc.

I have not heard of any such issues developing, but we all have to be very careful in this regard.

Keep in mind that there are certain hazardous aspects, especially electrical, with such projects and computers.

Also, I do not know what your specific technical, experience, training, abilities, etc. are.

If you do not feel comfortable with starting any of these projects, then try to find and hire someone competent and trained in these areas to do it for you.

Also, these older computers may have certain issues just because of their age and because you may not be aware of how others may have used, treated, modified, etc. them.

In addition, there is always the possibility of unintended and even unknown consequences depending on many factors.

Erik may even want to include a similar disclaimer on this web site for all posts.

========================================================

That said, moving on, if it is still an option.

Welcome to the “world of vintage computer troubleshooting !!!”

It can be a very challenging intellectual exercise – like a crime investigation !

1] From the other thread you have on the Tandons, glad to hear they are working ok and it is just the Kaypro main board you mention is the issue.

2] Many times in troubleshooting, it is initially best to use the “KIS” principle – “keep it simple!”

3] A] So I assume you checked all the connections / cables to the main board, especially at J6 where the disk drive cable is attached to the main board. Also, I assume you checked all the connections to the disk drives and the cables themselves.

B] Like with the chips, some corrosion and / or bent pins can be issues.

C] Wires & cables, especially the plastic insulation, besides the connectors themselves, can deteriorate also over 25 years.

D] Also, any cracks in the main board can damage the traces & connections.

4] A] Swapping “good” parts for questionable parts is another useful strategy

B] So sounds like from your latest post you have two [2] main boards now and both do not work with the disk drives in your Kaypro, when you swapped them. Do either of them or both work in a known working Kaypro? I believe in another post you said you had a friend who had a working Kaypro.

5] You may want to just initially pick a few of the chips that are the “most likely issues” to check and possibly replace, if you can find new or working ones –

NOTE – YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOU ARE GROUNDED TO MINIMIZE ANY STATIC ELECTRIC ISSUES WHEN YOU WORK WITH THE CHIPS AND IN SOME OTHER AREAS – A GROUNDING STRAP IS VERY USEFUL – E.G., RADIO SHACK HAS THEM AMONG OTHER SOURCES – YOU COULD EVEN MAKE YOUR OWN POSSIBLY, BUT THEY ARE INEXPENSIVE – YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW THIS, SINCE YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE SOME TECHNICAL EXPERTISE FROM YOUR POSTS

6] Basically, there are two [2] main chips that can affect the drives – both are in the lower right corner of the main board, as you look at the front of the Kaypro.

At U82 – the floppy disk controller FD1793 – it is a large chip - if it is the 1797 version, it may have issues

At U 88 – FDC 9216 data separator – it is a very small chip.

7] The 1985 book you have by Williams is the best I have ever seen! He has a picture of the main board on page #77 and notes the 1793 chip with respect to swapping it out with a good one.

8] A] The 1793 chip cost about $80 in the 1980’s he notes, so replacing one to see if it was the issue was not very attractive then. New Kaypros cost around $2000 [in 1980’s dollars – multiply by about 2.3 for today’s approximate dollars] at that time and main boards about $300 - $400, with some credit for the old one.

B] Few can realistically diagnose main board issues and actually fix them, especially today with respect to such old technology, so that is why many just suggest replacing them then and now.

C] But today, such working main boards may be very difficult to find, although one of the responses to your post did find one on eBay.

9] Microcornucopia said the cost of this chip was about $35 in 1985 in an article on troubleshooting such issues. They also noted that Kaypro got a lot of “flaky” SMC 9216 data separators that caused a lot of issues.

10] But I could not currently find these chips as replacements at Jameco and Mouser.

11] You could do a post on this web site for them and join Dave’s Dunfield’s email list at www.classiccomp.org, along with other sites. Some very knowledgeable Kaypro people regularly post on Dave’s list about Kaypro issues, as on this site. A Google search may turn up some other even newer active sites as sources for old chips and Kaypro information.

12] Chips from another working Kaypro, if you can get one, could be used to swap in to see if either of these chips are indeed the specific issue.

13] Among some of my computer related publications, I even published a short note in Micro Cornucopia in 1987 on the 1793 chip that I found was also an issue with working drives, when I upgraded our six [6] Kaypro II /4 ’ s to Kaypro “ 8 “ ‘s, according to Micro Cornucopia information and parts.

14] Of course, the large Z-80 chips may be issues also –

At U54 & U72 - the two Z-80 PIO’s

At U63 – the Z-80 CPU – naturally

At U70 – the Z-80 SIO - possibly

These are still only a few dollars at Jameco.

15] A] From info you gave on U43 & U47, it looks like you have a “real” 1983 Kaypro II. It was good you knew to list these and got the Williams book. Shows you did some “homework !”

B] U47 - Monitor ROM 81-149 – but does it have a “C” after it – stamped on with what may look like a rubber stamp – it may be in red – it may be about ½ “ in size –
A & B versions may have issues

C] U43 – Character ROM 81-146 is correct for your main board.

16] Also check the main board on the back side near the serial port – it should say
81-110 – and a “ B1 ” might be after the 5 digits – it is designated as an obsolete board, but many such Kaypros have it and it can work – mine do ! However, it is difficult to get to this section of the board – you even have to lift up or remove the copper colored metal shield on the back after you remove the main board.

17] The 81-240 boards usually have it noted on the front of the board at the lower right corner [e.g., page #77 in Williams book]. According to the Micro Cornucopia upgrade booklet, if the chip at U47 was an 81-232 and not 81-149, then you would really have a Kaypro 4. These could easily be upgraded to Kaypro “8 ‘s ” by just adding the Micro Cornucopia chip. Kaypro II’s were more complex to upgrade.

18] CP / M version to use should be 2.2F for both of these boards.

19] You may also want to download the free technical manual for Kaypros at www.bitsavers.org. Since you are so committed to Kaypros and seem to have some technical background, you should find it very helpful – schematics, diagnostics, test methods, etc. Many more details are available on this bitsaver site on this vintage computer and other sites, besides a Google search, naturally.

20] Dave has all the issues of Micro Cornucopia. If they are ever made available, like bitsavers is doing, they can provide a great deal of more specific information on Kaypros. Lists of authors and topics, about 400 pages, were recently referenced on this www.vintage-computer.com site as free downloads. Many other topics on computers of that era were covered, besides Kaypro however, in Micro Cornucopia.

21] I disposed of my issues many years ago regrettably!

22] I was surprised you did not get more responses to this post!. Maybe the others missed it, especially those who responded to your Tandon posts.

23] All this is only a start – but may help. Please share your results, so this “thread” can be helpful to others who may now or in the future be in the same or similar situation.

24] I have done many Tandon drive fixes / alignments, so just be thankful you have someone to do it for you, in case you need it in the future. Besides all the tech info, you need special tools, parts, software, patience, temperament, etc. to really do it right / completely and be successful.

25] Again, there are many posts on Kaypro issues on this site and Dave’s already. Therefore, a search can be very worthwhile, so you and responders are not “recreating the wheel” of the same requests / information over and over again.

26] A] You can search under “Tezza” [I made the mistake of typing “ Y ”ezza in my post to you earlier] and his Kaypro issues around the 2008 Christmas / New Years holidays. It was a very popular and big thread with many specific details that may be useful, both now and in the future. He had disk drive issues also with his new / old “special” Kaypro.

B] We even discovered that in that area of the world, some made existing computers “look like” Kaypros, since Kaypros were so rare there. Tezza’s pictures show his is a very rare “real” Kaypro however, apparently!

27] My web site – WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG is very limited on Kaypros, since it also covers my decades of Science, Technology and Society [STS – hence the name KAYPRO + STS] research. But the pictures in the 2008 Calendar in the folder “ Special “ may help you find certain items on your Kaypro. The draft of my Kaypro book is also there, if you are interested in some of the history of that era. Two publishers are now reviewing it for possible publication. I gave a talk on it at the 2008 Trenton [NJ] Computer Festival and a copy of the draft is on their 2008 Festival CD.

28] A] My book documents some of the great confusion during those hectic years [Osborne’s “hypergrowth” term] concerning different models, versions, modifications, etc., both documented and undocumented, of computers like the Kaypro, made in a great rush to fill tremendous unprecedented demands at that time for such computers.

B] This is in addition to any of the many modifications that others may have made to these computers later, especially to try to keep them current with many rapidly new computer developments – e.g., the Kaypro “ 8 “ upgrades !

C] That is what can make it so difficult in “troubleshooting” issues. You may not be working with the Kaypro model / version / modification, etc. you think you are. So detailed specific information on any history and other aspects of the Kaypro you have can greatly assist in not wasting resources with respect to managing such issues. Pictures can be of tremendous help – e.g., Tezza’s Kaypro noted above.

29] A] Thus, we get into such long posts. I do fewer, but longer. You seem to have done some “homework” and seem committed, so I took the time to do this detailed response for you and others who have or will have similar issues.

B] Of course, when the issue is finally resolved, many times with the benefit of eventual “20 / 20 hindsight,” the resolution of the issue seems so obvious – how could we have missed it ? Again, welcome to “troubleshooting vintage computers !” But that is just part of the “fun” of it.

All the best and please let us know more detailed specifics about your Kaypro, especially any past history / pictures, etc., so we may be able to be of more assistance, besides reporting the results of “your adventures in troubleshooting Kaypros” for the benefit of all !

This all aids in the “knowledge base” we are all establishing on this and other sites for the preservation of actual “working” vintage computers for the future.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your long post and all your time in reading my threads, it seems that you understand me very well. Your corncerns are very real, now I have three motherboards defective in the same way and it seem that this is the toughest technical issues of a working Kaypro. I am sure the matter is a very simple one because the three defective boards have one similar situation. These borads in the Kaypro were not use for more than ten years and they were not stored in very dry and warm area. Right now I am taking a break to search for schematics, hand tools and some replacement chips to continue the job.

Regards,

Dougtronics

Hi
this.
Dwight

Hello Dwight,

Thanks, I have been thinking a about the bad address decoder too. I have already built a logic probe and will have the schematic soon. Can you elaborate debugging with a PROM programmer a little bit. I have never used one before.

Regards,

Dougtronics

I have a document (can't remember where I got it) that has schematics for the Kaypro II (among others).
PM me your email address, and I'll send you an email with the doc as an attachment.

EDIT:
Never mind emailing me - I remembered where I got the docs.
They're from the PDF Archive at www.bitsavers.org

Hello Lorne,

Thanks, I got the schematic and have blow it up. Now I have a big schematic. I heard from an engineer at my work that I should use the "Tri-states test method" to isolate the problems. Man, this means that I have to build a multi logic probes, at lease three of them. Any suggestion?

Regards,

Dougtronics

Hi
this.
Dwight

This my update to the issues. I started out with five defective mainboards, 2for Kaypro II and three for Kaypro 2x. All these boards display the "cannot read disk" message and were further isolated as defective mainboards. Per suggestions from the Vintage Computer Forum, I play with the FD1793 chips and FDC 9216 chips. The end result is that all FD1793 chips are good and two out of five FDC 9216 chips are good. Therefore I am able to salvage only two working mainboards. I am in the process to create some truth tables with my homemade logic probe so that I can continue to look into the remaining three defective boards. These defctive boards are natually have one or more problems other than FDC 9216 and FD 1793 per se.

Dougtronics

Back