• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 4 (IV) Help

Midwinter

I am not sure if I have a software or a hardware problem so I randomly chose hardware... :p

I recently picked up a Kaypro 4 (IV - the '83 model) for pocket change.

It did not come with a boot disk so I ordered one from Ebay. I don't have another computer currently that I can write images to a 5 1/4 disk.

The Boot Disk came and said Kaypro 4 copyright 77. (I point this out because I'm not sure if this boot disk will work with either model of Kaypro 4 or if I still need another desk because here is my problem:

• System powers on. (I have already placed my boot disk in the A: drive)
  • The power light is on. The A: drive light is on. The screen is on.
  • The screen instructs me to put the boot disk in the A: drive.

Questions:
1.Can anyone let me know if I have the correct boot disk or if the computer should be letting me know that the disk in the drive is not bootable?

2. If I do not have a boot disk problem is there anything else I should troubleshoot before looking to replace the floppy drive?

Your version of TRSDOS (LSDOS) should work in any M4. Are you putting the disk into the lower drive? That is the boot drive :)0).
If yes, then the next easiest test (assuming cleaning & lubing the drives has been done) will be to swap the cables/drives around and see if it boots from the other one.

--T

So, you mean you put the Disk in the drive, and the computer just sits at the "Insert Disk into Drive A:" prompt (Drive A is the Top drive)?
The problem might also be with the Boot disk, which is for a Kaypro 4, not a IV (There are differences between the two).

And, uhhhh, Terry, No Kaypro I know of uses TRSDOS/LSDOS...I think you mistook Kaypro IV for Model IV...

Though what Terry says about the drives is right. You should try swapping drive cables and/or Cleaning/Servicing the drives too.

Damn dyslexia! I coulda swore it said...

The good news is, KP is right. There are different bootdisks for different K-4/IV models. The other good news is that a Kaypro is a lot easier to dig into than a Trash-80.

Does your KAYPRO try to boot or read the disk, or just do nothing?

--T

And let me guess....
You bought a $10 single boot diskette from Dynacomp software, and it doesn't work :)

Common - been heard a bunch of times, and they continue with it.

To clarify, there is a IV, a 4/83, and a 4/84. A IV is *NOT* a 4/83.

I'll look around this weekend and see if I can find my originals.
I have an original set of Kaypro IV disks somewhere, and they are literally
"ink-stamped" with 'IV' on them :) talk about saving money on printing.

T

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

The boot disk I have is labeled "Kaypro 4".

I am assuming that I have a Kaypro 4 '83 based off of the technical specs I have read. (I do not have the built in modem, etc...) "Kaypro 4" are the graphics along the side of my machine. PN# 81-004. (maybe not an '83 based off of the part number?)

My top drive is the A: drive, but it doesn't sound like the computer is trying to access the drive even though the drive light is lit. I will need to open her up and verify the cables are still plugged in or if the drive is any good.

The Kaypro drives weren't really quiet were they? I guess that is a hard question to answer knowing that Kaypros didn't ship with standard drives.

And let me guess....
You bought a $10 single boot diskette from Dynacomp software, and it doesn't work :)

Common - been heard a bunch of times, and they continue with it.

Just reviewed my Ebay transaction and this is indeed where I picked up my boot disk. Is this guy a scammer? I had never read about this seller on here... :(

He took advantage of one more sucker - me! :mrgreen:

Don't think I'd go as far as labelling them "scammers."

Issue is, there is a Kaypro IV, a Kaypro 4/83, and a Kaypro 4/84.

A IV is obvious enough...I also think it had FH FDD's...
A 4/83 will have 24-pin ROM socket, and a 4/84 will have a 28-pin ROM socket.

4/84 mainboard will also have all connectors on right side edge (as viewed from front) usually with either the holes for a 40-or-50-pin connector (between the FDD and power connectors) or sometimes even with the 40-or-50-pin header soldered in.

Kaypro didn't really use non-standard FDD's - you can pretty much swap in just about any 5.25" FDD's as long as they will mount...Now Osborne used non-standard, even down to taking power from the ribbon cable.

Edit: I looked at the seller's auctions, and they list a boot disk for a Kaypro IV, and you're saying yours says "Kaypro 4," which should be
different boot disks. The IV and 4 are different machines.

T

Last edited:
Yes, scammers is overboard. I got something from them, can't remember what it was but I got everything I had expected. It is fairly clear in their listings that most of this stuff is used, not NOS.

Back