• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 4 modified needs boot disk

Dougtronics

Experienced Member
I just received a Kaypro 4 (PN 81-015), S/N 130647 with a composite video output. Everything seems working when it was turned on. However when the screen show up, it dispayed " Advent Products, '84 Tubo ROM v3.0 (') 1985. Plus*Perfect System'. As such normal Kaypro boot disk could not boot it up. I wonder anybody has seen this before and have the correct boot disk. When I removed the cover, I noted that there are two circuit boards were added: Advent Part #26571 with a (0651A1C) sticker and Advent Part #25764.

Doug

Yes, sounds like you have a "modified" Kaypro.

Do a search on this site and Google of course for more info.

Looks like you have a "challenge" on your hands - not insurmountable, but a challenge.

All the best !

Please keep us informed on your progress so we can all benefit.

Good luck !

Frank

There are a couple variations on the Advent Turbo ROM--both 48 tpi and 96 tpi. But generally, the boot disks use 5 1024 byte sectors/track, rather than the normal 10 512 byte sectors. There are other different aspects, such as the placement of the directory, etc.

I may have an Advent TurboROM boot disk; I'll have to take a look.

Try this one. It's an Imagedisk file of a 360K (48 tpi DSDD) Advent TurboROM boot floppy.

If you don't know how to hook a 360K floppy up to your PC and run ImageDisk, I'm sure that others can help you.

RE: Kaypro 4 with Advent TurboRom

RE: Kaypro 4 with Advent TurboRom

Sorry I was side tracke into Advent TurboRam for a week. I am now back to the advent TurboRom boot disk issues. Pursuant to Zillo's advice, I surfed the link 'http://www.z80.eu/kaypro.html' and found the text below but the inter link messages could be read by Windows PC:

"One of the disk drive is always selected (even nothing is done), this was changed with several third party firmware ROMs, like the famous Advent TurboROM or the better, but less known KayPlus ROM.
The KayPlus ROM is still downloadable at the above URL/page !
I haven't found Plu*Perfect Systems in the internet anymore, so I offer a download for this 8 KB Advent TurboROM (Version 3.4) here, for the utilities and docs see here or documentation in readable 'PC' text here. I will remove this link asap if the original copyright holder inform me that this offer is not desired."

It seems to me that KayPlus ROM could work on the Advent Kaypro. I think I got the message that I should start learning how to covert images to floppy disk. Well I need to look for a 486 or Window 98 computer first.

Thanks,

Doug

Back