• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II repairs

You’re lucky then! I believe it is a standard MFM drive, but getting it low-level formatting in the Kaypro is probably a whole other story.

I've never done it on real hardware, but there are images out there (Maslin archives at least) of the "start from scratch" Kaypro 10 installation diskettes. These will do the low-level formatting, although it is actually the HD controller that does the formatting - the Kaypro just sends a FORMAT command for each track (not a tough program to write if you had to). The process is well automated: you boot "disk 1" and it starts the whole thing, prompting you when to insert the next disk.

I've never done it on real hardware, but there are images out there (Maslin archives at least) of the "start from scratch" Kaypro 10 installation diskettes. These will do the low-level formatting, although it is actually the HD controller that does the formatting - the Kaypro just sends a FORMAT command for each track (not a tough program to write if you had to). The process is well automated: you boot "disk 1" and it starts the whole thing, prompting you when to insert the next disk.

Good to know it’s easy! Makes me want a Kaypro 10 even more! :)

also if anyone has a dead kaypro they want to part out i'm looking for a keyboard (just the inner keyboard) as postage would cost a bit. or at a pinch the ESC key cap and switch. if you do pm me.. thanks

also if anyone has a dead kaypro they want to part out i'm looking for a keyboard (just the inner keyboard) as postage would cost a bit. or at a pinch the ESC key cap and switch. if you do pm me.. thanks

If you are looking for something, I would recommend starting your own thread for it, so more people will see it.

Back