• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II terminal emulation issues

hanshuebner

Hello,

I have a Kaypro II which is in good working condition, but it seems that the terminal emulation is somehow broken or it does not reflect what CP/M programs expect. I have downloaded disk images from http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/ and am using the CP/M 2.2F System Disk to boot and it lists 81-232-A as ROM requirement, which I seemingly have:

PXL_20230222_200234738.jpg

Yet, some programs seem to be using terminal control codes that the machine cannot interpret. Here's Wordstar (downloaded from the same place):

PXL_20230222_200229365.jpg

And here's ALIENS.COM from the BASIC+GAMES diskette:

PXL_20230222_200648538.jpg

Does anyone recognize this problem and know what I need to do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hans

Ya, it looks like the software you are running is not configured for the Kaypro II.
For Wordstar, I suggest re-running the configuration program again and making sure that the terminal type is set correctly.

For early Kaypros (like 1983), the terminal emulation is **not** the same as the later Kaypros (like 1984). Early Kaypros only supported cursor positioning, while the later ones supported highlighting, bold, etc.

Back