• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro IV '84 refusing to boot from Disk

I also have a Kaypro IV with some flaky SD-521s and I lucked out on the Internet Archive today and found an Epson PC service manual that includes full specs and maintenance steps for the SD-521: Epson Equity II Service Manual, Chapter 6.

You will still probably need an alignment disk for radial alignment, but it's nice to have the full set of maintenance instructions. Also, in a pinch, ImageDisk has a Disk Analysis mode that beeps based on the strength of the read signal. You adjust the radial alignment while listening to the beeps for maximum signal.

Simple, format a floppy in Drive 1. Use PIP to copy all the files from SOURCE to the formatted floppy B:
$ pip DEST:=SOURCE:*.COM
NOTE: use the O & V Switches. (O=OBJECT & V=VERIFY)

$ pip b:=a:*.*[ov]

Then insert the Floppy into a PC and use Image disk to make a copy in *.IMD format.
From the .IMD you can extract the .RAW image (Sector Dump) using the IMDA & IMDU utilities.
If you want to any/all copy files to an existing SDCard Image you will also need to create the
.RAW image of it to accept the files. The .RAW files will be accessed by cpmtools and copied to
a storage location. Then use cpmtools to copy those files to the SDCard's .RAW image.
Final step is to use the BIN2IMD (Imagedisk Utility) to create an updated .IMD file.
The HxC Software can then create the .hfe image for you to copy to the USB flash drive.

Larry
haha I think your definition of simple and mine differs! however I do think I understand the steps and will give it a try. I'm surprised someone hasn't already created a gotek-compatible library of disk images..

I also have a Kaypro IV with some flaky SD-521s and I lucked out on the Internet Archive today and found an Epson PC service manual that includes full specs and maintenance steps for the SD-521: Epson Equity II Service Manual, Chapter 6.

You will still probably need an alignment disk for radial alignment, but it's nice to have the full set of maintenance instructions. Also, in a pinch, ImageDisk has a Disk Analysis mode that beeps based on the strength of the read signal. You adjust the radial alignment while listening to the beeps for maximum signal.
That will be very helpful, thanks for locating this!

haha I think your definition of simple and mine differs! however I do think I understand the steps and will give it a try. I'm surprised someone hasn't already created a gotek-compatible library of disk images..
Actually, am I going to be able to do this? I don't have a working physical floppy drive. I was hoping to just be able to create an empty disk image and add files, like how you can do with WinImage files..

If no one else has the proper tools, I believe I could create some IMD images for you, if you can point me to the files/tarballs you're interested in. I'm assuming you have the ability to convert IMD images to what's needed by the GoTek? The procedure I'd use is to create a raw imaging using cpmtools and then run a "raw2imd" program using the correct parameters for 5" DD/DS Kaypro. Provided I use the right parameters, I would hope you could convert the IMD to HFE.

I also have some raw images from my own Kaypro, but not a lot (when I saved all the floppies, I was not interested in programs I never used). I have an MBASIC and games disk, something called "typeit" (with "sscopy"), and a WordStar master.

I'll get on these tomorrow, but I want to confirm: You want double-sided (double density) Kaypro disk images, right?

The 4/84 Images I've looked at are Version 2.2F and your 81-292 requires Version 2.2G. So, there is going
to be some exchanging of files to a bootable Version 2.2G image before creating the IMD file.

Larry

I've put some IMD images out on http://sebhc.durgadas.com/kaypro/imd/. If I created those correctly, they should give you something to use. The "kpgames.zip" archive was too big to put on a single diskette image, so I spit it up into 3 images, somewhat arbitrarily (I'm not certain if I split some apps between images). The "mbasic-games.imd" is the diskette from my archive, looks like it is redundant with (a subset of) kpgames.zip.

I've put some IMD images out on http://sebhc.durgadas.com/kaypro/imd/. If I created those correctly, they should give you something to use. The "kpgames.zip" archive was too big to put on a single diskette image, so I spit it up into 3 images, somewhat arbitrarily (I'm not certain if I split some apps between images). The "mbasic-games.imd" is the diskette from my archive, looks like it is redundant with (a subset of) kpgames.zip.

It works! thank you! The KP4DIAG disk worked (it listed the 2 files) but when I run the application, the program either "Warm Boots" the system of the prompt goes crazy. I wonder if it was written for the other Kaypro 4 ('83)?
Would you mind sharing the procedure you used to create the .IMD images from those zip files?
20220112_215820.jpg

I'm not sure about that kp4diag, as you posit it could be for different hardware. I'll see if I can do any checking on my simulator. Looks like you're having some success at least!

The procedure I used is a bit convoluted. I have utilities I use for my simulator that handle Kaypro floppy images, in conjunction with cpmtools. So, I created a blank Kaypro DS/DD image, used cpmtools to add the files, then use a "raw2imd" program (that uses http://offog.org/git/dumpfloppy.git internally for the IMD formatting). I'm sure others have different methods of creating IMD images. I use Linux exclusively, so these tools tend to require Linux. If you'd like to try to set it up for yourself, I can give you some help. Let me know. I have customized the tools a bit to make things easier for using my simulator, but it should be possible to use the original tools as well. All my work is out on github and freely available.

I'm not sure about that kp4diag, as you posit it could be for different hardware. I'll see if I can do any checking on my simulator. Looks like you're having some success at least!

The procedure I used is a bit convoluted. I have utilities I use for my simulator that handle Kaypro floppy images, in conjunction with cpmtools. So, I created a blank Kaypro DS/DD image, used cpmtools to add the files, then use a "raw2imd" program (that uses http://offog.org/git/dumpfloppy.git internally for the IMD formatting). I'm sure others have different methods of creating IMD images. I use Linux exclusively, so these tools tend to require Linux. If you'd like to try to set it up for yourself, I can give you some help. Let me know. I have customized the tools a bit to make things easier for using my simulator, but it should be possible to use the original tools as well. All my work is out on github and freely available.
Ok, thanks for sharing. I just noticed there's also this file:
KPDIAG1ZIPDiagnostics for the 2, 4 and 10 (with source)

Says it should also work on the 4 - would you mind making an IMD of that one, too? Much appreciated.

Doug,
I've extracted the *.RAW images from the *.IMD files you posted and I see the first 10240 bytes of each *.RAW
as 0xE5's versus the actual Boot Tracks (20 Sectors of 512 Bytes {0..9} and {10..19}). How do the *.hfe
files BOOT after being created from the *.IMD files, which were created from the *.RAW's?

The kp22gdsd.td0 file, which has the Boot tracks for CP/M Version 2.2G is corrupt at Track 35 Head 1.
Code:
34/0  0   8   3   6   1   9   4   7   2   5  
      D   D   D   D   DE5 D   D   D   D   D  
34/1  10  18  13  16  11  19  14  17  12  15 
 HD:  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
      D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D  
35/0  0   8   3   6   1   9   4   7   2   5  
      D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D   D  
35/1 250 kbps DD  2x512
      101 14 
 HD:  0   0  
      D   D  
36/0 250 kbps DD  10x512
      0   8   3   6   1   9   4   7   2   5  
      DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5 DE5
36/1  10  18  13  16  11  19  14  17  12  15 
37/0  0   8   3   6   1   9   4   7   2   5  
37/1  10  18  13  16  11  19  14  17  12  15 

I've extracted all the files (some of them may be corrupt) and rebuilt that image so it has
the required 409600 bytes. Do you have a CP/M Version 22G Image available so I can
do a compare for file by file?

I've attached the .RAW file in this ZIP. Is it possible for you to verify the files with CP/M 2.2 Version G?
When I build a .IMD I get a clobbered Directory listing. I'm using your Definition with dirblocks 2

THANKS.

Larry

Attachments

• KP22GDS1.zip
    164 KB · Views: 7
nullvalue,
You probably also want MITE & UNIFORM

Larry

Attachments

• mite.zip
    81.1 KB · Views: 3
  • uniform.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
Doug,
I've extracted the *.RAW images from the *.IMD files you posted and I see the first 10240 bytes of each *.RAW
as 0xE5's versus the actual Boot Tracks (20 Sectors of 512 Bytes {0..9} and {10..19}). How do the *.hfe
files BOOT after being created from the *.IMD files, which were created from the *.RAW's?

THANKS.

Larry
These software disks were never bootable. Kaypro only shipped one bootable disk, the CP/M Master.

Larry, comparing the distro files on KP22GDS1.RAW with my backup copy, the only difference I see is in D.COM. Your version seems to have been patched, to output 08H to port 05H before starting the rest of the program. What I can't tell is if that patch has interfered with anything vital (the code was patched into 0179H-017FH).

I also see that the CP/M 2.2G BIOS has been clobbered in your image (this is stored in the extra directory block, after the directory records). I see that the file ACCESS.COM has overwritten block 1, which should have been reserved for the BIOS. Keep in mind, "dirblks" is a relatively new diskdef param, so it takes a version of cpmtools with those changes. I thought cpmtools barfed on unrecognized diskdef params, but maybe not. Or else there's some other bug. One thing I've seen, even on "real" CP/M, is that if you ever get a file that allocates reserved blocks, and then ERA that file, you end up defeating the reservation and the next file will use the wrong blocks again. It's basically self-perpetuating unless you're able to reset the allocation vector. I don't think that happens with cpmtools, because - as I recall - you cannot delete a file and write a new one in the same session, and cpmtools recomputes the allocation vector every time it starts.

Hi, Douglas. As a fellow Linux user I'd appreciate knowing more about the fools you use. I was not able to find a GitHub link under your handle, however.

Ok, I found your GitHub projects but was unable to locate any information on generating Kaypro IMD images from raw sector data.

Back