• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro SMK keyboard ic failure (8049)

linuxsaget

I have recently had a keyboard ic failure on one of my kaypro machines. I swapped the Mitsubishi 8049 with one out of another kaypro keyboard, and it works! So, is there anyone out there who would either have another 8049 out of the kaypro to sell, or a programmer (willem?) that would be able to program the eprom version of this chip, the 8749? (Verault recommended ldkramer). Thanks.

linuxsaget,
I got an empty message on this forum. There was a long posting on VCF about the 8049 and about it not having protection, allowing it
to be read. But, no answer as to how it would be possible. If an 8749 Microcontroller could be located, and programmed it should work.

Google found this information.
[http://www.mattmillman.com/projects/hveprom-project/an-easy-to-build-mcs-48-8748-8749-8741-8742-8048-8049-programmer-reader/]

Looks as if my Willen Ver 6.0 Programmer can read the 8049, with the MSC-48 Adapter. (I do not have the adapter)

Larry

Click image for larger version  Name:	8049.png Views:	0 Size:	19.3 KB ID:	1234930

Last edited:
I found three Intel 8749 EPROM Microcontrollers on Ebay. Thinking about getting a PCB created and parts for the HVEprom programmer.

Larry

linuxsaget,
I only got the following in my External Email, and nothing in the VCF PM.

Hi Larry
This M5L8049 is a Mitsubishi copy of the Intel 8049, both containing a ROM, RAM, and CPU as opposed to the

I have the three Intel 8749 IC's (EPROM Versions) in hand and 3 - Long PCB's ordered from OSH-PARK the PCB Fabrication shop.
I'll have two SPARE if someone needs/wants one.

Parts are on order from Mouser with one 4.0 MHZ Crystal not yet in stock. Should be in house around 20 December. More Later.

Larry

Hi Larry! I hope I'm replying correctly. I just read a message from Verault, that said you have been trying to contact me, and at the same time I have been using the private message button, which Verault said was not working for new users very well. So I'm trying this way. I read that you have a willem pcb6.0, but not the mcs-48 adapter. I rolled the dice yesterday on Ebay, and bought Verault's kaypro keyboard parts, which included the Mitsubishi M5L8049 like mine. He didn't know if it was functional. If that doesn't work, I could probably purchase a mcs-48 adapter, so that i could send you one of these 8049s, and have you read it and burn it onto an 8749, which I would pay for. Working 8049s out of kaypro machines are really getting hard to find. So this route with the 8749 looks like a very good plan B if the chip I just bought from Verault doesn't work.

Thanks for your help with this. Warren (linuxsaget)

One more thing...I don't have any 4 MHz Crystal's, but do have a 16 Mhz crystal oscillator and a 74LS393, which is a clock divider, and I just select QB output of one side, which is /4 to get 4 MHz.

Warren

I checked the Wellon programmer software and the software claims it can program both NEC and Intel 8749 chips. I don't know if there's a need for an adapter since I don't have a need, or which Wellon programmer models can program the chips. I just looked into the list of IC's Wellon software can program.

Thanks for that Information DeltaDon, but I'm not familiar with a Wellon Programmer. Plus, I don't know of anyone who has one.
It shouldn't take long to assemble the MCS-48-8749 programmer.

Larry

Verault, I found a PCB for the MCS-48 programmer and have ordered 3 @ $42.00. They are being manufactured. I have three of the Intel
8749 IC in hand. Waiting on parts from Mouser and the PCB's. 12-21-2021

Larry

That bad Huh?

Seems the poster hasnt been here since mid DEC. But he did send an update via ebay. Did he get in touch with you at all?

Back