• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kermit compatibility

SpidersWeb

Veteran Member
I have a Wang PC I need to back up, The Wang PC isn't 100% IBM compatible, as such I need to be sure whatever transfer program I use needs to run correctly. but I read that in Kermit 2.26 they added support for the the Wang PC.

Does anyone know if the later versions like 3.14 are still capable of running on non-100% clones running MS DOS?
Are there places on the internet where I can find the older versions? I couldn't find it on the original site.

The obvious answer is just to try but I don't want to unnecessarily boot the thing.
I want to boot once, run the program off disk, and backup the drive before it forgets it's sectors. The machine has a full installation with WordPerfect to Lotus123 for Wang etc.

I used to have a Wang PC as well, I gave it away to a computer museum. I used to transfer data to and from it using UFO, an equivalent of LapLink, over the LPT port. I remember speeds of 25-30 KB/sec which is at least twice as fast as the max 115000 Baud of RS232. One small drawback: you have to solder a special cable. But that can be used many times.

Just popped up: in what way isn't it 100% compatible? Does it use different hardware for the COM port, for example? At least I never noticed with my Wang. But the Wang has some free ISA slots. That enables you to insert an 100% compatible RS232 card and then you shouldn't have any problem with what ever version of Kermit you have.

When I say Wang PC I mean the Wang Professional Computer (I should've mentioned that in my first post), they made lots of changes and adapters over the years to make it more PC compatible but you can't boot normal MS DOS on it, needs to be the Wang variant.
So I was trying to avoid software that might talk direct to the hardware.

If you're talking about the Wang Pro also, then I'll give UFO a try. I just didn't want to experiment on a machine running a 30 year old format.

When I say Wang PC I mean the Wang Professional Computer
I just googled and now understand which machine you. Never heard of it or saw one, sorry.

Reminds of a man emailing me asking help for his Commodore. My reply: "which one, PET, CBM, VIC-20, 64, 128, Plus/4 or even another one?". His answer: "I thought Commodore only made the 64, I never heard of the others". :)

Back