• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kermit TCP/IP

hackerb9

Experienced Member
Hi All!

I've been using Michael Brutman's excellent 2020 release of mTCP on my IBM luggable (using the nifty 3C509B driver made available by yet another VCFed forum member, Nestor). I am impressed with mTCP'S TELNET.EXE — it's quite a bit more than just telnet as it handles terminal emulation and Y-modem file transfer — but I've been bumping into some limits with it (such as remapping keys and sending an entire directory by batch) and would like to get MSKermit working over Ethernet.

I know it is possible because the MSKermit website touts TELNET as one of the big features (including multiple concurrent sessions!), but when I download the Kermit User Manual, it is for an old version that doesn't include TCP/IP. I tried guessing the correct parameters (using Kermit's '?' tab-completion), but couldn't get it to work.

Does anybody here have a Kermit configuration file they can share that uses Ethernet? Or, perhaps someone remembers the magic incantations necessary?

Thanks!

This manual has the syntax for setting up TCP/IP, at least with a static address:

http://kermitproject.org/onlinebooks/usingmsdoskermit2e.pdf

The sample MSCUSTOM.INI file that's included with the kermit 3.14 distribution also has the syntax present. You'll have to upgrade to at least 3.15 if you want to use DHCP. (I believe all the versions after 3.14 require unzipping on top of a 3.14 distribution.)

EDIT: FWIW, I just tried DHCP with both 3.15 and 3.16 and it didn't work, at least with my kind-of-half-baked setup. (Tandy 1000 + RTL8019AS + hacked NE2000 driver. The DHCP client included in mTCP does work fine.) Dunno if it's something with my card, packet driver, or the ancient DHCP client baked into Kermit. Static addressing works fine.

Last edited:
Back