• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Knabbed a C64 for $15

alexkerhead

Veteran Member
Was on the internet and grabbed a mint, boxed c64 for $15....WooT!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8809119303&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
I know, no PSU, but I have made them before, and will do so for my other one coming that has a broke key(for a play around c64), the one with broke key has a ps, and I will use that ps on the mint one from this auction.You just rig up a at PSU, it has the 5v and 12v.
I used this guide a while back to help a friend. http://members.tripod.com/~ilkerf/c64tower/powc64c.html
Edit: Typo

Last edited:
A mint, boxed computer without the power supply? Somehow, I don't think it deserves the "mint"; a system should be complete as far as it originally was, even if the remaining parts are in very nice condition.

Ah, the memories! My first computer was a VIC-20 (early to mid-1982), which I used for several months, until the jack-ass down the street keyed-down on the amplified CB radio in his car, and reset my system, after me sitting there for like 15 minutes, loading a program off of tape. My friend and I went down to Circuit City the next weekend and bought C-64's, with the 1541 disk drive!!! Man, that was awesome!

I'm still looking for a well maintained C-64 w/1541 drive. Maybe one of these days...

Congrats on your purchases! I'm trying to put a hold on my vintage computer purchases for now, due to space constraints in the house. I did just pick up a Tandy 200 and a Tandy WP-2, but they don't take up much space :)

Although my breadbox C64 is stone dead and has had its keyboard donated, I'm sure I somewhere still have the box, and it is in at least as "nice" condition as the one you got. Yes, a very nice price for a boxed C64 marked with felt pen on the underside, but fortunately "mint" was your way to describe it, not the seller. :)

Ok, I confess...my 'new' MMC-1 is not 'mint', as I had originally described it. I've discovered that it is actually missing one of the paper labels found on the original...

--T

Anything lacking scratches/dents/and or broken parts is considered mint to me..lol
I am not one of those folks who cares for all the docs and manuals..lol
But yes, it really isn't mint, but it is excellent.
I am really looking forward to getting this one.
I am putting it on a shelf under my excellent shape vic-20, with a similar "dials and knobs" television(with rf modulator of course).

I'd sort scratches, cracks and text written with magic marker, impossible to take away without rubbing the plastic, under the same category when it comes to condition wrt/ original.

Mint to me means that the part in question looks as good as the day it was made and packaged. It could be missing needed items like a PS or what have you.

Boxed means just that (it comes in the original box), it could be missing spacers and all the other things normally found in the box new.

Boxed and complete: Original box with everything that originally was found in the box

New: Never had the shrinkwrap taken off.

My C64C and 1541C look about as new as you can get, and they have the original PS. I think I even have the C64 manuals but I am not sure. The original 1541 drives (brownish) tend to look more used.

Mint to me means like it just came out of the box. It may or may not have all the original docs and printed material.

I would consider product boxes (where sometimes the protective material have melted around the cords), and with all original documents as Mint+. I have a few like that. One is a C-64 and the other is an Atari XEGS which I bought in a surplus store for $35 in 98. Bought one and had another sent to my grandson in Montreal. I imagine his PS 2 enthusiasm was not intrigued. I also offered him a Nintendo Famicon with about 20 of the strange little cassettes mostly in Japonese. He showed no interest so I sold them on E-Bay for about $90. At present they would likely go for 5times that which would more than pay for any Gee-whiz new systems for the succeptible market.

Mint should be of museum cosmetic quality, for display not neccessarily for functionality. Us nerds on the other hand place functionong state first. I like to think that our criteria is the most real historically.

Lawrence

Seems I got really lucky.
The box came in, and I opened it, and to my astonishment, it was the light brown model, not the more common grey. It is in perfect shape, but I can't test it until the other with the ps arrives. I think the flash in the ebay image made it look grey.
So, I will have a light brown, and grey one....woot!
Edit for image:
commodore_64_brown_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back