• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Large Screen Smart TV's

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Need some input. I have a 55" LG in my bar area that been there since 2008. The picture output is excellent even by today's standards, however, I need to move up to a smart tv so as to eliminate the external USB connected Roku/Apple TV type units.

I'm looking for a 65" 4k with either integrated Roku or Apple TV. By integrated I mean the Roku/Apple feature must have its own built-in tuner, not just a selectable app which would require an external unit.

So, I'm wondering if any one out there has had a recent upgrade with the above features. Brand isn't important. Thanks in advance.

I prefer LGs own proprietary guide to be honest, definitely better for non-computer literate elder boxes.

Roku sets can be fun but are irritating in that you can brick one with a lost account. It’s set of features and content are somewhat limited / proprietary .

No experience with AppleTV but the integration with other Apple products is convenient.

I prefer LGs own proprietary guide to be honest, definitely better for non-computer literate elder boxes.

Roku sets can be fun but are irritating in that you can brick one with a lost account. It’s set of features and content are somewhat limited / proprietary .

No experience with AppleTV but the integration with other Apple products is convenient.
Do you stream or are you on cable?

Do you stream or are you on cable?
Only had cable a few months and didn’t use it much, so strictly streaming and I don’t pay for any accounts.

LG puts “stations” together in its guide right alongside live stations which is nice.

I’m told Apple devices integrate with certain cable services but that not my thing.

Next GEN ATSC 3 TV is launched in my area and was tempted to get a tuner for that but the channel list offers nothing new but better reception

Only had cable a few months and didn’t use it much, so strictly streaming and I don’t pay for any accounts.

LG puts “stations” together in its guide right alongside live stations which is nice.

I’m told Apple devices integrate with certain cable services but that not my thing.

Next GEN ATSC 3 TV is launched in my area and was tempted to get a tuner for that but the channel list offers nothing new but better reception
Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, why the ”need” to eliminate the external dongles for Roku, etc? My TV started out as a “Smart” unit back in 2011 but now it’s effectively just a monitor because software updates for the built-in applications only lasted for a few years and the streaming services have pretty much all made breaking changes since. (And I think this is a pretty typical experience with older smart TVs?) The Roku stick I stuck on it fixed the problem for less than $50 and is completely hidden out of sight (and its remote can turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume) so… eh? My plan is to either use it until it breaks or wait until some genuinely compelling need for 4K comes up. (My eyes suck enough I genuinely can’t tell the difference from couch distance even on a 65” screen.)

My TV started out as a “Smart” unit back in 2011 but now it’s effectively just a monitor because software updates for the built-in applications only lasted for a few years and the streaming services have pretty much all made breaking changes since. (And I think this is a pretty typical experience with older smart TVs?) The Roku stick I stuck on it fixed the problem for less than $50 and is completely hidden out of sight (and its remote can turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume) so… eh? My plan is to either use it until it breaks or wait until some genuinely compelling need for 4K comes up. (My eyes suck enough I genuinely can’t tell the difference from couch distance even on a 65” screen.)
"Just out of curiosity, why the ”need” to eliminate the external dongles for Roku, etc?"
Well, for one thing it's the simplicity of only having one remote control to deal with. I have a new 42" Roku Hisense 4K in my sunroom, and everything is integrated into the tv. Once you have it, that's what you want. BTW, I have no less than 3 each Roku and AppleTV units and they all work okay. All of my tv's have an off-air antenna connection and they all stream as well.

My sunroom tv is also the hub of my home entertainment system with the Nvidia Shield streamer and 8TB HD attached. (I'm able to access my movies through Plex, and also Fubo, anywhere I go even on my phone).

My LG is a just a monitor. I have an Apple TV hooked up to it, as well as my Direct TV box.

If it were just my Apple TV, I could get by with the ATV remote, as it powers on the receive and controls the volume automagically. Otherwise, yea, I have 3 remotes to deal with: DTV, Receiver, ATV.

My TV has never been connected to the internet, and I have no intention of that happening.

Well, with LG now publicizing how it's going to be able to stream ads directly TVs, I'm even more inclined to keep them in a faraday cage and keep them as isolated as possible.

My LG is a just a monitor. I have an Apple TV hooked up to it, as well as my Direct TV box.

If it were just my Apple TV, I could get by with the ATV remote, as it powers on the receive and controls the volume automagically. Otherwise, yea, I have 3 remotes to deal with: DTV, Receiver, ATV.

My TV has never been connected to the internet, and I have no intention of that happening.

Well, with LG now publicizing how it's going to be able to stream ads directly TVs, I'm even more inclined to keep them in a faraday cage and keep them as isolated as possible.
I don't get your point when you say your tv is not connected to the internet, as mine isn't either. I stream from my modem via Comcast, not the internet. This thread is about tv's that have integrated streaming receivers, not add on boxes.

I have a 23" Roku TV from 2016 in the bedroom. I like the single remote for streaming + tuner. The tuner UI itself is also nice: presets and channel guide are in easy reach. These days, while it still receives software updates... the hardware can't keep up. Even a simple action like adjusting the volume takes several seconds for the TV to respond. Loading Netflix is a gamble to see if the TV will run out of memory.

I have two older TVs with Roku sticks. The newer stick remotes have power and volume/mute buttons. The TVs have a fine picture, so I replace the sticks once in a blue moon for $30 ea.

It may be worthwhile to consider other reasons for upgrading your 2008 -- say, a desire for a 4k screen. You'll be happy with a smart TV for a couple of years, but will be back to using multiple remotes over time.

ATSC 3 tuners are coming out in volume this year so you might want to upgrade for that when TV stations in your area start broadcasting in 4K.

I don't get your point when you say your tv is not connected to the internet, as mine isn't either. I stream from my modem via Comcast, not the internet. This thread is about tv's that have integrated streaming receivers, not add on boxes.
If a TV has integrated streaming receivers, and they're being used, it's connected to the internet. Mine has all of those features, but I chose to not have it connected to the internet. I let the small, more disposable and replaceable boxes deal with the internet. The TV just get HDMI. I consider the TV a long lasting component, so I keep it as stupid as practical.

If a TV has integrated streaming receivers, and they're being used, it's connected to the internet. Mine has all of those features, but I chose to not have it connected to the internet. I let the small, more disposable and replaceable boxes deal with the internet. The TV just get HDMI. I consider the TV a long lasting component, so I keep it as stupid as practical.
Of course you need an internet connection but not in the same vein as your browser. Your "small boxes" perform the same function as those in the new smart tv Roku equipped units. If you have it,why wouldn't you want to use it? All of the major viewing apps are available and it's the same as the external Roku 4K box.

The general point is that the monitor part of a decently built TV will probably outlive the usefulness of the smart features built into it, so they will all effectively end up as dumb monitors eventually.

A side point is that TV manufactures have become really aggressive as late about embedding ads and data harvesting into their smart functions, even popping up ads and sending your viewing habits to their servers when you're running live TV over the air. To me that makes an excellent case for treating your TV as a monitor (and maybe an over-the-air tuner, if you're still doing that) from day one. Manufacturers shouldn't be rewarded for this kind of behavior. Sure, they're still going to get viewing data from your Roku dongle or whatever, but getting all big brother with broadcast TV is slimy as all heck.

Last edited:
The general point is that the monitor part of a decently built TV will probably outlive the usefulness of the smart features built into it, so they will all effectively end up as dumb monitors eventually.

A side point is that TV manufactures have become really aggressive as late about embedding ads and data harvesting into their smart functions, even popping up ads and sending your viewing habits to their servers when you're running live TV over the air. To me that makes an excellent case for treating your TV as a monitor (and maybe an over-the-air tuner, if you're still doing that) from day one. Manufacturers shouldn't be rewarded for this kind of behavior. Sure, they're still going to get viewing data from your Roku dongle or whatever, but getting all big brother with broadcast TV is slimy as all heck.
That feature/non-feature can be turned off on most tv's during the initial setup. At least on one of my Vizio's and the Roku Hisense. Also, in the unlikely event that the integrated receiver malfunctions after the 3-year warranty period, I could then add one of the external units from the closet shelf.

It appears that theories abound on the pros and cons of the integrated receiver and not a whole lot on my original request for info on a 65" smart tv with built in Roku. So, I guess we might as well close this thread and thanks for the participation. It's been very informative and interesting.

As an FYI Roku does offer an all-in-one remote that controls both the box/stick and your TV
After further review, it's probably the one I'm going to go with. It also has adjustable legs that will fit my present stand. My 55" LG has a center pedestal mount and the stand is just about 43 inches while the Roku 65" can adjust to about 38". Not practical to wall mount. Thanks for your input.

ATSC 3 tuners are coming out in volume this year so you might want to upgrade for that when TV stations in your area start broadcasting in 4K.
In My area at least the next Gen station carries all the main non-sub channel
Channels ABS, CBS, NBC, CW, My network , etc

They are simply broadcasting at the native resolutions for each channel (720p,1080i)

Primary reason for next Gen is simply that many channels don’t come in many areas and the next Gen signal reaches more folks

No new content and no 4K is a no from me but maybe someday they will change content

Back