• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LC II pricing

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
The local computer dealer here bought a Mac LC II in a bundle of stuff, and he wants to sell it. There is no market for macs here, and after reading about this one I am wondering how much I should offer. He had no price on it, to him it's odd parts. It consists of the box and keyboard, no accessories whatsoever. I have accessories for it. What's a good price? $10? Something like that?

I read that it can only address ram up to 10mb, so that makes it worth less to me. Also there are no expansion slots. It's in the pizza box format, so it's really small. Is there a way to make it address more ram? Like some kind of flash utility?? I am new to the world of Macintosh. Love it, but still new. I have a PowerPC 7200/75 that needs a keyboard and is loaded down with ram and even has os9 on it (one of these days I will get a Sonnet card for it, bring it up to 700mhz :D ).

And since the embedded ethernet came out ANYthing can be networked. My vision, C64, C128, PowerPC, Toshiba laptop and P150 and 300 will all be networked as one big happy family. >sigh<

Nathan

LC II Pricing

LC II Pricing

Not fast (68030 16Mghz), no CD, limited max memory (10MB Max). Pretty limited on monitors (or need a SPECIFIC adapter for VGA). Though it's not as bad as some other models which have some nasty hardware faults/quirks. ( http://www.lowendmac.com will give you more details)

For kids it would be cool with some simple games and good beginning apps like Claris Works and Chipmunk BASIC.

If it works *maybe* $10, though only someone who is collecting or has a specific use would go for it. It could go on the internet reatively painlessly (but barely). I was thinking of doing some information KIOSK with htem (they're nice and thin), till I found Quadra 605s just as cheap. Here in the California you see them at thrift stores from $8 to $20, along with power PC units with CDs at the same price.

I'd settle for someone taking them off my hands without scrapping it.

I went to lowendmac.com and that's really why I was asking. I guess it'd be worth getting the hdd out of and assorted other parts. What I really want is the keyboard. But if it can't be developed then it wouldn't really be worth it. But the parts are since parts are expensive as heck around here. Looks like I pick it up tomorrow. Or at least offer him. I hate to tell the guy he kinda got ripped off. He said he didn't pay that much for it which I will tell him that's good. I can use the hdd to add to the PowerPC I have, whatever parts can go elsewhere, and the box I can use for a C-One whenever I get one! :)

If its free or $5 pick it up, its not worth anything more then that unless your a collector and its MINT condition with all manuals etc.

Join the lowendmac.com swaplist and you will see all kinds of older equipment for sale or swap.

How large is a typical HDD in a LC II - probably 40 MB SCSI? Is that worth adding to your PowerMac? I don't know about the C-One form factor, but you might have to dremel around a bit to fit it into the LC II case if that is where you're heading.

What keyboard model are you looking for Nathan?

I have quite a bit of mac keyboards, and would gladly mail you one.

Chris

Yeah, the C-One board would take some adapting but I am up to the challenge. 40mb is not really worth opening the box on the main machine, but I can set it up in a seperate box. I am still learning scsi and Mac, so any experimentation is worthwhile to me.:)

If you and I lived in the same city, you could get a 300 MB SCSI disk which sits in my drawer and I doubt I will ever use. I could even have collected some 1 GB drive for you last summer when there was a big Sun cleanout at the campus.

So, did you haggle for a price yet?

Unfortunately I am having to put all of my computer projects on the back burner due to financial problems. Even a $5 computer is out of budget. Wish I had better news.

Back