• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LCD Monitors

LCD Monitors

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Haven't had the previliage yet to use LCD!

• Total voters

CP/M User

Veteran Member
I've found these new monitors strange to use & I think it maybe connected with my dizzy spells I've been getting. I think it's because I have consentrated focus & pick up movement very easily.

I believe what's happening is when I'm playing fast paced games & stuff on these monitors - this leaves me feeling a bit giddy. I know there have been connections between people having fits & games on other the standard Monitors, but LCD may include a new generation of users which are sensetive (which could include myself).

What does everyone else think?

I dunno CP/M U, I've used laptops almost exclusively for about ten years now, with no adverse effects. I have more trouble with Trinitron CRTs, which play tricks on my eyes.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I dunno CP/M U, I've used laptops almost exclusively for about ten
> years now, with no adverse effects. I have more trouble with Trinitron
> CRTs, which play tricks on my eyes.

It's funny you should mention Laptops as well, cause I have one as well, it's a Greyscale VGA, but I haven't had any problems with it. Though this is on my 386 Laptop & I can't say I've been playing many games on it.
But I thought the Monitors found on earlier Laptops such as mine aren't true LCD. I remember back in 1997 when I was looking at Notebooks based computers, some had something called TFT (which looked better) & another which only looked good if you were looking straight at the screen.

But as for my new computer, the screen is one of those space-age LCD monitors (Widescreen I might add & is 19in in size). Bit of a step up from the old 14in CRT monitor, but somehow I still perfer the old monitor - radiation or not. Even when I scroll the text on this LCD monitor the Text flickers - it's quite annoying (the old CGA wasn't as bad as this!)! :-(

CP/M User.

I find the problems with LCD monitors vary from monitor to monitor. Just before I moved to Seattle, I got my hands on a $350 Samsung TV Tuner/Monitor combo for my GEM hot-rod. However, I looked at 15 different monitors and picked the one that I found had the least trouble with high speed graphics.

The best ones seem to be made by Sony and Samsung and a bit on the pricey side., while the other models had a bit of flicker or "streaking" like an old Laptop LCD would have (hence why I hardly play games on my old 486 laptop anymore).

They're all LCDs, it's just that they've improved the technology over the years. Most today are ThinFilmTransistor (TFT), aka, "active Matrix", which actually embeds a tiny transistor for every pixel on the screen, so a 1024 x 768 screen has 786432 individual transistors in it. Older (& less expensive) LCDs were "passive matrix" which is more like a grid of criss-crossing conductors embedded in the glass on both sides of the liquid crystal, and the junctions act as switches when excited by current. DualScan, or DualSuperTwistNematic (DSTN) screens are one example of this type.
Just to confuse the matter even more, screens of both types may be either "reflective" or "transmissive". Reflective screens have some shiny material on the back side, and only use light that is reflected off that shiny layer. Transmissive screens, OTOH, have thier own light source, usually a tiny flourescent tube (backlight). Oh yeah, there's also a third type, called "trans-flective" which is sort of a hybrid of the other two, having properties in commpn with both.

--T

Okay, well that sounds fair enough Terry. I hardly know much about these things, since I stopped keeping track of all the different kinds floating around & start learning more important things!

What I do know is this Acer monitor which came with the computer is a bit funny - looked good when I got my Widescreen DVDs out though. But it's strange if I were to choose between my Sanyo 386 Laptop LCD VGA Greyscale or this monitor, it would have to be the Laptop. I remember when I first got it, I had some Headaches from it, though but Fine Tuned the screen with Brightness & got used to it.

I must be the last guy to use a LCD Monitor with Desktop? (I must confess though, that they seem to have these screens in a lot of workplaces! ;-)

CP/M User.

I'm wondering if the lightsource might be the cause of the problem you're having? I know a guy who suffers from mercury poisoning, and he is extremly sensitive to the mercury emissions from flourescent lighting, including the minute emissions from a backlit LCD screen. Of course, if this were your problem, you would have all kinds of trouble in an office or other environment where flourescent lighting is used as well.

--T

OTOH, if your screen is flicker-y, that could be the whole problem too. I know a lot of people used to complain of headaches/dizzyness/nausea/etc when using the old interlaced and notoriously flicker-y monitors of the early '90s.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> OTOH, if your screen is flicker-y, that could be the whole problem too.
> I know a lot of people used to complain of
> headaches/dizzyness/nausea/etc when using the old interlaced and
> notoriously flicker-y monitors of the early '90s.

Yeah well, the screen doesn't continously flicker. Strange, after having a look at some of the sites & then post here, I've noticed that the text which flickers is this typed out text. Course it only does it when you use the scroll-bars & is particularly noticable when you slowly scroll up or down.

Some text it doesn't appear to do, e.g. Webpages & some of the thicker typed-text doesn't flicker as much (though it still does!). Black seems to be the most noticable culprit for flicker!

Will see what happens when I post this in some other colour!

CP/M User.

I would see a doctor....

I would see a doctor....

Becareful, Even people who have NEVER had seziures can have them from any monitor CRT, LCD or otherwise. Do you wear glasses? This happened to me and it turned out I had a vision problem. After I put my glasses on I can see fine. I could stare at my monitor for hours unaffected, but if I'm not wearing my glasses I can't see anything after a while.

Don't have a seziure or anything,

-Vlad

Re: I would see a doctor....

Re: I would see a doctor....

"vlad" wrote:

> Becareful, Even people who have NEVER had seziures can have them
> from any monitor CRT, LCD or otherwise. Do you wear glasses? This
> happened to me and it turned out I had a vision problem. After I put
> my glasses on I can see fine. I could stare at my monitor for hours
> unaffected, but if I'm not wearing my glasses I can't see anything after
> a while.

> Don't have a seziure or anything,

No well, I'm still reasonibly young, though my family think I have my Grandfathers Eyes. He didn't need reading glasses until he was in his Seventies & even then they were only for reading. He was a pretty cool customer to deal with though - which maybe the secret to having good eyesight (stress would just open to all sorts of problems send from the Brain). His vision was good up until he passed away.

CP/M User.

Back