• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Legendary Viking videocard by the Moniterm - searching for the Drivers...

Sandisk78

Experienced Member
Hello everybody ! My neighbour, a man of great computer knowledge, found this legendary hardware - the Viking videocard by Moniterm. He says, that defenetely there were drivers for it for Win286,Win386,Win3.0 and maybe by Win3.1 - but sadly he can't find drivers in the Inernet now( Maybe someone can help to find the drivers ?

viking_moniterm.jpg

Only found drivers for Word perfect... Maybe at least good enough for a test?

http://www.pcorner.com/list/WP/WPD.ZIP/INFO/

Aldus PageMaker 3.0 (for Windows) was also compatible with these. Prolly not without the windows drivers though?

There were definitely Windows 3.0 drivers for it. I think if you find these they might work in Win 3.1 - i used the Win 3.0 CGA driver in Win 3.11 and it worked.

Do you also have the matching display?

Thank you for the link ! We are going to connect SVGA - as he knows the scheme to connect Viking to SVGA monitor ... Of course it will cost some effort)

Excuse my ignorance but what is so "legendary" about this card? Inquiring minds want to know!

http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n5/moniterm.html has a review of the Atari ST version. The display is the same and the card is similar in the IBM PC variant.

If that takes too long to read, the card is equipped with a graphics accelerator and can display 1280 x 960 plus also supports Hercules, CGA, and MDA modes. $2,400 in 1986. It laughs at IBM's puny 8514.

Last edited:
http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv3n5/moniterm.html has a review of the Atari ST version. The display is the same and the card is similar in the IBM PC variant.

If that takes too long to read, the card is equipped with a graphics accelerator and can display 1280 x 960 plus also supports Hercules, CGA, and MDA graphics modes. $2,400 in 1986. It laughs at IBM's puny 8514.

Ahhh... Okay. Thanks for the info. I'll read the article but I assume monochrome at that resolution and needs a special monitor, right? I have a Moniterm video card, maybe it is a Viking, but I think it was a three board deal that only works with a special Moniterm 19" monitor. So I have never used it...

That "64-pin Hitachi graphics processor" on Viking 1 is an HD63484 ACRTC, isn't it?
Looks like I've got something similar: Elsa XHR C-1482, with the chip mentioned above, 512 KB DRAM (really impressive for a pre-VGA card) and two connectors: DE-9F and DE-9M.
Any help running this thing?

That "64-pin Hitachi graphics processor" on Viking 1 is an HD63484 ACRTC, isn't it?
Looks like I've got something similar: Elsa XHR C-1482, with the chip mentioned above, 512 KB DRAM (really impressive for a pre-VGA card) and two connectors: DE-9F and DE-9M.
Any help running this thing?

Same as for the Viking - you need a display that supports such a high resolution (Like the moniterms or their OEM versions) and you need software or a driver that supports using it. If we'd just find someone that has the Windows drivers (Version 1 to 3.0) it would be much easier to use these for something useful.

I took a quick look through several DOS programs that seemed to support almost every video card out there, and none of them even mention this card. It seems like nothing bundled drivers for this card. Which means all drivers would have been provided on a disk from the vendor... that is now sitting at the bottom of a trash pile because no one needs those pesky old driver disks do they?

Back