• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Level of 486 interest?

Bobthearch

Experienced Member
Disclaimer: This is not a current For Sale advertisement, just wondering what you guys are interested in.

I have a pile of 486 computers in various condition. Some may run, some certainly won't, and a few are completely unknown. These were 'rescued' from a local middle school some years ago for the purpose of restoration and redistribution as kids' toys. However, in the time since I've come to realize the futility of giving away such old machines to non-enthusiasts.

So what to do with these things?

IF I listed some stuff in the Marketplace section, you think anyone would bite? I wouldn't be looking to make money, but at least cover shipping or maybe trade for something. There are 2X CD-ROM drives, graphic cards, sound cards, modems, hard drives, processors...

So whatcha' think? This stuff should just go the dumpster, or would anyone be interested? :confused:

Interested in parts mostly, or only interested in complete working units?

A picture of the lot would help people make up their minds of condition. As they say a few pictures are beter then a thousand words.

Some people like complete systems from specific venders and most people like parts if they are decent.

Personally I have plenty of 486 systems but I collect VLB cards (and could use a 486 Gateway2000 system).

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that someone is interested in these 'tween computers (far from modern, but not really vintage either), if even just for parts.

I'm currently "between cameras" but would certainly provide detailed photos of anything posted in the Marketplace. Not much of a picture now anyway - a pile of metal frames with the covers removed.

The brand (never heard of them) is Leading Edge and the model is "Fortiva 5000." Each is a bit different, with varying conditions and specs.

and could use a 486 Gateway2000 system

Funny you should mention that. I happen to have one that's in great condition. But I think it's a new model, early Pentium perhaps. It's actually one that would make a good kid's computer - boots up, looks good, and runs common PC software. I'll double-check the model number and processor and get back to you.

I have mint G6-300 (P2-300) and a G6-450 (P3-450) Gateway2000 towers, I think they were the last with the gold Gateway2000 name before they switched to just gateway. Both towers are built like tanks and were free (saved from getting junked because they were too slow).

The Gateway 386/486 era desktops with the curved front were realy nice when new, one of those is the type I want (and I have the correct keyboard for one).

http://www.dracowulf.com/images/about/gateway2000_486sx.jpg

Just returned from upstairs...

My Gateway 2000 is model # 4DX-66V. I didn't look inside to check the processor - there are some other computers and parts piled on top of it.

I'm a huge fan of the 486-era computer. I don't have the money to have entire boxes shipped to me, but have interest in parts. If you come across an AMD 5x86 133 ADZ, an AMD 5x86 150, Pentium overdrives, or any other nonstandard 486 cpu I am very interested. Pictures, parts lists, etc., will all be helpful in getting these boxes and/or their parts sold.

Perhaps take a picture of the insides of one box at a time, get their parts or the box sold, then move to the next?

It'll be a while before I'm ready to tackle that project - headed out of town for a couple of weeks and very busy at work. But you guys have convinced me to not fill the dumpster yet. :)

I ~suspect~ there will be a couple of complete machines and a pile of extra parts.

...or any other nonstandard 486 cpu
These, as I recall, have off-brand CPUs, Cyrix maybe. Whether that makes them more interesting or less, I have no idea.

I don't have the money to have entire boxes shipped to me...
IF there's a complete working unit at the end, I'm sure we can work something out. Shipping's not that high, unless you're overseas. :cool:

Pictures, parts lists, etc., will all be helpful in getting these boxes and/or their parts sold.
Absolutely. I wouldn't expect someone to make an offer on something they haven't even seen yet.

I too like the 486/ early Pentium era of computing, probably more so than other years. I would be interested in any sounds cards, video cards, Cyrix processors, or dual processor motherboards. Thanks for thinking about us later PC enthusiasts!

I would definitely be interested in acquiring a late model (DX2 or DX4) 486 machine.

They make great transition machines from my modern PC to my older PCs, and they can be useful as an MP3 player.

I would also love to get a good 486 box... been looking out for one for a good while now, but they're all too darned expensive. If you get to selling, I will certainly 'bite'

Back