• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Life with Tandy Xenix

kb2syd

Veteran Member
So, back in the day I used a LOT of Tandy Xenix machines. Before we finally switched over to SCO Unix on a 486 we were running:

4 Tandy 6000 computers, each with 2 three port serial cards
1 Tandy 16a with 1 three port serial card.

The 6000's had 70meg primary drives internal and a 70 meg secondary. The 16a used a 15meg primary external drive.
Each 6000 served 7 employees.
Backup was with a Radio Ranch X-Drive (a 60 MB floppy tape that plugged into the 50 pin floppy port). It had a custom Disk Util boot disk to make backups and restore.
The 6000s all had 1 Meg of RAM and were running Scripsit 16 with the spell checker, filePro 16 plus and multiplan.
We used Wyse 50 terminals with Scripsit definitions we purchased from Bob Snapp.
The 16a was a hub for micnet and uucp. Our employees would share documents via micnet using scripts I wrote.

Each of the 6000's used one of their serial ports to plug into one of the 16a's serial ports. The 16a just spent the day shuffling data and retrieving usenet and email via uucp.

Those were the days. Any other daily grind 6000 Xenix admins out there?
Kelly

I have never heard of this archive or TCP/IP for Xenix. It would have to be a SLIP implementation. There are no hardware ethernet cards for the 6000.
There is an outside chance this was for the Arcnet card, but support for this under Xenix was not common in the wild.

Back