• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lightweight TSR DOS Text Editor; Your Favorite?

clh333

Veteran Member
Using the built-in editor in a DOS D-Base clone was almost enough to make me give up programming. Every time I touched the source file it would leave an "artifact" that would be invisible on the screen but would drive the compiler nuts.

I finally decided to install a TSR editor so I could jump out of the IDE, modify the source and jump back in to test the code. I was never a big fan of TSRs so the only thing I had available for install was PC Tools Desktop. I limped though with that but I figured there must be a better way.

Some Internet research turned up references to Qedit and Ntaker (for a more thorough compilation go to http://www.oldskool.org/guides/texteditors - be sure to return;)) but none of these were suitable.

So, if we can avoid WWIII I would like to ask the experts for their nominations: What's your favorite DOS TSR PLAINTEXT EDITOR?

Thanks,

-CH-

What exactly are you looking for? The Sidekick editor is about the most that can be placed in a TSR but you need to like classic WordStar and small text files. Anything beefier probably requires the use of a DOS multi-tasker or task switcher.

The problem is that if you're old enough, you're probably using something that nobody ever heard of.

e.g. I've got a nice little multi-function TSR package here called Simon. I think it predates Sidekick. Ever hear of it?

The problem is that if you're old enough, you're probably using something that nobody ever heard of.

e.g. I've got a nice little multi-function TSR package here called Simon. I think it predates Sidekick. Ever hear of it?

No. Is it on somebody's archive?

-CH-

The clone is VPInfo, which was published first by Paperback Software - an Adam Osborne venture - and later by Sub Rosa. I have V4.

It has many nice features, for a product of the time, but the editor needs work. Its word-wrap feature seems to be what is introducing problems with the file, but in addition the editor's command set is sufficiently unique to cause problems if the MS standards are ingrained. For example, the command for "save" is to hit the "end" key, which saves and terminates editing. Can't tell you how many times I've done that.

-CH-

Dunno, but I purchased it a long time ago. Still have it.

There's more software out there than many think.

Couldn't find Simon anywhere**. Who was the publisher?

-CH-

** The Internet Archive has a title called Simon but it is a PC-based representation of the old toy.

SIMON, favourite lightweight TSR DOS Text Editor.

SIMON, favourite lightweight TSR DOS Text Editor.

Found it:

SIMON, the memory resident editor

Clockwork Software
Bidbury House, Havant PO9 3JG, UK

Thanks for the lead. I'll see if I can contact them.

(MC;HNY)

-CH-

Attached is a (fully functional) demo version of SIMON v1.10 from November 1989.

If you find Nigel irksome then the following may well be apposite...

Code:
sub_7784	proc	near
		push	ax
		push	bx
		push	cx
		push	dx
		push	di
		push	si
		call	sub_5669
		cmp	ax, [data_777A]
		jae	loc_779A		; NIGEL nag popup
		pop	si
		pop	di
		pop	dx
		pop	cx
		pop	bx
		pop	ax
		retn

So

Code:
SIMON.COM:07691H 073H 007H -> 090H 090H

should get him to put a sock in it.

Though personally one finds that he can be rather an endearing chap!

View attachment SIMON.ZIP

I have a registered copy, so I don't get Nigel. Came in a nice folder as well. From the blurb in the enclosed literature, he had some other interesting products as well.

I have a registered copy, so I don't get Nigel. Came in a nice folder as well. From the blurb in the enclosed literature, he had some other interesting products as well.

This was another great one?

On bumph…

Got a nice booklet when one purchased my -AVEXTRA, and the PK compression library(!).

Attachments

• SNAP.ZIP
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
Thank you both for your suggestions. I have made an effort to contact the authors / publishers of Simon but my inquiries have not as yet received a reply. I don't find Nigel all that annoying but I would prefer to support the project.

I find that Simon is closest to what I am looking for; it does a better job with memory management than PCTools and I prefer its file tree management to that of Sidekick.

If I ever hear from the publishers I'll let everyone know.

-CH-

Thank you for the (oblique) reference to Roy Harper; I am familiar with Page's work since his days with the Yardbirds, but somehow never twigged to Harper. Merits investigation.

-CH-

Last edited:
If you find Nigel irksome then the following may well be apposite...

Code:
sub_7784	proc	near
		push	ax
		push	bx
		push	cx
		push	dx
		push	di
		push	si
		call	sub_5669
		cmp	ax, [data_777A]
		jae	loc_779A		; NIGEL nag popup
		pop	si
		pop	di
		pop	dx
		pop	cx
		pop	bx
		pop	ax
		retn

So

Code:
SIMON.COM:07691H 073H 007H -> 090H 090H

should get him to put a sock in it.

Though personally one finds that he can be rather an endearing chap!

View attachment 58126

I didn't find Nigel objectionable but for his annunciation with a "beep"; so I took your advice... to a point. Instead of modifying 07691H instead I modified 07791H and 07792H with 090H and wrote the entire CS back to file with the name S2.com. The resulting file is the same length as its progenitor and behaves the same, so far as I can tell, except that Nigel seems to be absent the scene.

This has been an interesting and educational experiment but I still would like to be licensed by the author. Should that happen to be you, please PM me. If not I shall always wonder where your intimate knowledge of the code originated.

Thanks again for your help.

-CH-

I didn't find Nigel objectionable but for his annunciation with a "beep"; so I took your advice... to a point. Instead of modifying 07691H instead I modified 07791H and 07792H with 090H and wrote the entire CS back to file with the name S2.com.
Which DOS program do you prefer to use to effect these types of modifications?

Anybody else with a preferred program for this procedure, please chime in.

Back