• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Limited time only - Digigram PCX80 ISA16 audio card

kishy

Veteran Member
TAKEN - thanks for the interest.

Not sure how to use it, not sure if it works.
Seems to be professional studio equipment.
As is, no returns.

Free, pay shipping only. Ships from southern Ontario, Canada.

This item will be sent to the recycler on November 14 2009 if not already shipped by that date.
Time to get a shipping quote may exceed one week so don't wait to decide on this please.

Because I am not charging a "price" on this, if you could please round the shipping cost up to the next nearest $5 mark when sending payment, I'd appreciate it (helps to cover bus costs to and from post office). Accepting payment by PayPal please.

Attachments

• digigram.jpg
    digigram.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
As far as I can tell this is a pretty good card and intended for studio use. It has 8 balanced outputs and a possible 2 in, but I'm not sure if it needs the daughter boards to do the inputs. It has 18 bit resolution, >90db snr, and max 26dBu output so you can actually drive something with it unlike those dinky SoundBlaster thingies. :)

As far as I can tell this is a pretty good card and intended for studio use. It has 8 balanced outputs and a possible 2 in, but I'm not sure if it needs the daughter boards to do the inputs. It has 18 bit resolution, >90db snr, and max 26dBu output so you can actually drive something with it unlike those dinky SoundBlaster thingies. :)

Yeah, it looked like some sort of studio equipment when I had briefly researched it in the past. Thanks for the additional info. I'm not really an audio junkie (don't get me wrong, I enjoy high quality music, but I'm no audiophile) and I also have no running ISA machines at the moment (at least none that can handle sound) so I have no need for this. Kind of a shame, I'd enjoy trying to tinker with it, but I have the opportunity to take as much as possible to the recycler in November so it's going if not taken.

Interestingly, not a single SoundBlaster is in that trash heap lol. I keep those because somewhere, someone is always looking for a decent AWE64 or similar.

Last edited:
Hm, I'm intrigued by this thing. It was apparently a $6500 card when it was new. It looks like it was marketed more at radio stations and other broadcast applications, rather than recording studios so much.

I still can't tell for sure if it's usable as a normal sound card, though. Those linked drivers seem to be aimed at interfacing with specialized software... I can't find any indication whether it follows any of the usual Windows standards, or if it will only work with the specialized software.

Still, I'm a bit tempted to take the gamble on it... it seems like a 50/50 chance, it'll either be an awesome sound card or completely useless.

Hm, I'm intrigued by this thing. It was apparently a $6500 card when it was new. It looks like it was marketed more at radio stations and other broadcast applications, rather than recording studios so much.

I still can't tell for sure if it's usable as a normal sound card, though. Those linked drivers seem to be aimed at interfacing with specialized software... I can't find any indication whether it follows any of the usual Windows standards, or if it will only work with the specialized software.

Still, I'm a bit tempted to take the gamble on it... it seems like a 50/50 chance, it'll either be an awesome sound card or completely useless.

Same conclusions I came to...which is why I won't punish you by making you pay anything more than shipping (shipping rounded up).

For what it's worth, I removed this from a Compaq dual P3 server a couple years ago.

Alright, I did a little more looking. Apparently that "np Runtime" is indeed a proprietary interface that only works with highly integrated broadcast software like Dalet and such.

I found an old discussion thread that mentioned a "wave driver", which allows the card to work with more standard software. I guess it works as some sort of an emulation layer on top of npRuntime, rather than a standalone driver. It was specifically being discussed in the context of Cool Edit Pro, but it should work with normal Windows audio playback as well. There is mention on the Digigram site on how to install the driver, however... I can't find an actual copy of it for download anywhere.

So, basically, there's a good chance that the card could be used as a normal Windows playback device for listening to your MP3s and such (on 8 different stereos at once, if you were so inclined), but it would involve tracking down an obscure driver... probably have to contact the company about it. It just seems like too much trouble for me, personally. If somebody else wants to take it and mess with it, though, maybe that info will be helpful.

You know what?

Because I hate myself, I'm interested. Wishing now that I'd held off on having those two motherboards shipped. It can join my collection of weird high-fidelity sound interfaces.

I will PM!

So, basically, there's a good chance that the card could be used as a normal Windows playback device for listening to your MP3s and such (on 8 different stereos at once, if you were so inclined), . . .
That's 4 different stereos. There are 8 channels. The "balanced" is electrical the way audio folks do it to minimize noise. You can ground one leg though.

You know what?

Because I hate myself, I'm interested. Wishing now that I'd held off on having those two motherboards shipped. It can join my collection of weird high-fidelity sound interfaces.

I will PM!

Lol, if it's any consolation, I don't think it would have fit in the same box. But oh well. I don't expect this to cost very much to ship so just fire off that PM whenever you like (don't have it yet).

Back