• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LK201 Keybaord

Thanks gslick, I hadn't found that so I'll file that away for future use. It doesn't cover the EE variant. My thinking is that EE is a later version of AE UK keyboard but I'm looking for confirmation.

That is my guess also. Maybe the second letter indicates the keycap language variation, and the first letter indicates a base keyboard variation: A - original LK201, B - DECmate variation, C - VAXstation variation, E - update of original standard variation?

The VT220 pocket service guide says that LK201-EE is the British keyboard for use with VT220 models D, E, and F. (See Table 3-1 on PDF page 66.)

I wonder what is different between the 'A' and 'E' versions of the British (United Kingdom), Danish, and Norwegian keyboards and why those differences were necessary. Maybe different scan codes for some of the keys, or some other firmware differences?

Also, why does the manual say it necessary to use correct versions of the British (United Kingdom) and Danish keyboards to match the version of the VT220, but doesn't say that for the Norwegian keyboard, which also has two versions? Maybe that is an unintentional omission, or do the changes between the 'A' and 'E' versions of the Norwegian keyboard not matter to the VT200?

(hope there aren't any typos in the text below)

Table 2-1 Recommendes Spares List (Models A, B, and C)
LK201-AA United States keyboard
LK201-AC French Canadian keyboard
LK201-AD* Danish keyboard
LK201-AE* British keyboard
LK201-AF Finnish keyboard
LK201-AG Austrian/German keyboard
LK201-AH Dutch keyboard
LK201-AI Italian keyboard
LK201-AK Swiss (French) keyboard
LK201-AL Swiss (German) keyboard
LK201-AM Swedish keyboard
LK201-AN Norwegian keyboard
LK201-AP French/Belgium keyboard
LK201-AS Spanish keyboard
LK201-AZ Australian keyboard
* Do not use with VT220 models D, E, and F.

Table 3-1 Recommendes Spares List (Models D, E, and F)
LK201-AA United States keyboard
LK201-AC French Canadian keyboard
LK201-ED** Danish keyboard
LK201-EE** British keyboard
LK201-AF Finnish keyboard
LK201-AG Austrian/German keyboard
LK201-AH Dutch keyboard
LK201-AI Italian keyboard
LK201-AK Swiss (French) keyboard
LK201-AL Swiss (German) keyboard
LK201-AM Swedish keyboard
LK201-EN Norwegian keyboard
LK201-AP French/Belgium keyboard
LK201-AS Spanish keyboard
LK201-AZ Australian keyboard
** Do not use with VT220 models A, B, and C.

3.7 KEYBOARD
NOTE
There are two versions of United Kingdom, Danish, and Norwegian keyboards. You must use the correct versions of the United Kingdom and Danish keyboards. See Tables 2-1 and 3-1 for part numbers.

Thanks for replies, I will check for APL keys and I will definitely have some spares. I won't need eight. I'm not sure even if they are all EE variant only the one I've seen. I'll update when they arrive.

The eight keyboards arrived today, 3 are 70-23983-EE D01 and five are 70-23983-PE. If I'm correct the 70-23983-PE C01 are known as gold key keyboards and are for word processing, the numeric pad has commands rather than numerals. All appear to work, they all need a good clean and one of the 70-23983-PE the RJ11 (or12?) connector has the tab broken off that locks it into the socket on the terminal. I think I'm going to keep two of the EE and one of the PE keyboards. PM if you have an interest in any of the others, four PE and one EE. No APL versions I'm afraid!

The eight keyboards arrived today, 3 are 70-23983-EE D01 and five are 70-23983-PE. If I'm correct the 70-23983-PE C01 are known as gold key keyboards and are for word processing, the numeric pad has commands rather than numerals. All appear to work, they all need a good clean and one of the 70-23983-PE the RJ11 (or12?) connector has the tab broken off that locks it into the socket on the terminal. I think I'm going to keep two of the EE and one of the PE keyboards. PM if you have an interest in any of the others, four PE and one EE. No APL versions I'm afraid!
Thanks for checking on the APL versions. They seem to be rare birds, though when I was at a university in the 80s it seemed like they were all APL.

Back