• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
Is there some way members of the forum could be encouraged to enter at least a somewhat descriptive entry for their location, other than BLANK, "Here", "in my computer room" etc., no matter how clever it may sound. How many times are there redundant requests for the posters location who then claim 'they forgot" or you find they live in Outer Mongolia. Perhaps the registration could include "location" as a required entry. A general area entry is not going to subject you to identity theft or localised spam. This is an unneeded agravation.

Lawrence

Yeah, it should definitely be required that you enter a usable location. Nothing ambiguous and meaningless like "North of 50" or somesuch nonsense. :)

-Ian

Ha!

No, but seriously, I get what you are saying. I hate the repetitive "Location, please" too. Plus, you never know, that guy in the basement might just be next door.

--Ryan

I've often thought of suggesting this. It is indeed aggravating to read the same requests over and over. I also like the cultural aspect of knowing what continent someone lives on. :) Actually, I don't think requiring a country would be too much of a privacy intrusion.

It's an odd one. Some folks like the anonymous touch just like the internet and BBSes have supported. I'm less caring now then I used to be but sure I used to have something even more vague or smart-arsed as my location too. I think country would be fair but you'd probably have to look at their profile to pull that up. Volunteering the information that you're near someone is nice but not sure it's required. Just like me not knowing what or where 50 is but I remember in previous posts where you are over time.

I know it'd save time and trouble for the newcomers that post their first post as an offer of items.

Well that refers to latitude in central Canada. Perhaps I could put a clearer reference by adding "degrees" as well as longitude. The closest large city is Winnipeg about 400 mi. away or Regina which is further. "Middle of Nowhere" would be just as obfuscating, and the name of my village, Winnipegosis would seem to refer to a disease. :^)

OK Hows that. "Healer heal thyself"

Lawrence

Yeah, it should definitely be required that you enter a usable location. Nothing ambiguous and meaningless like "North of 50" or somesuch nonsense. :)

-Ian

Last edited:
Lawrence: ...Winnipegosis would seem to refer to a disease. :^)
I don't like the sound of it either... not really classy like Coalmont. :p Actually your town is almost 10 times bigger than mine, although more remote, so there is more of a chance of meeting someone who is not effected with miscellaneous mental misconfigurations (MMM). I usually refer to Coalmont as a "Psychological Reserve".

Back on topic: I think it works well enough to give state or province in NA. Europe works well enough with country. I don't know about Russia or China, but then there aren't that many postings from there. I'm sure this is not so easy to specify or require on the signup page, but a little explanation of why a ballpark entry is useful or interesting would probably go a long way.

I suppose that makes sense Chuck. :) However I've always thought that the Pacific North West should be assumed to be US only and the Canadian part of the area called Pacific South West. :p No?

Or should we take it one step further on a global scale and call it the Pacific Mid East?

I suppose that makes sense Chuck. :) However I've always thought that the Pacific North West should be assumed to be US only and the Canadian part of the area called Pacific South West. :p No?

Or should we take it one step further on a global scale and call it the Pacific Mid East?

Note that my location says "The Great US Pacific Northwest", so I feel reasonably secure in my description. One could argue, I suppose that Alaska is really the US Pacific Northwest and BC is at best, midwest, being in the middle. But then, Hawaii is farther west than Alaska...

Note that my location says "The Great US Pacific Northwest", so I feel reasonably secure in my description. One could argue, I suppose that Alaska is really the US Pacific Northwest and BC is at best, midwest, being in the middle. But then, Hawaii is farther west than Alaska...
country/state/town?

Lol. Certainly accurate, but who sees the world like that? Despite my earlier ramblings I actually thought that your original "US Pacific Northwest" was bang on. :)

I think it's probably easier to look up an IP address than geographical coordinates, and that could be posted automatically without (IMHO) a security or privacy issue. Most people don't (or wouldn't bother to) use a proxy, and it wouldn't matter if they did.

Remove a couple of spaces and Google Maps will find the location.
That works! It's been a while since I've used Google Maps and I see that they've added a lot of detail recently. A G-maps search for Coalmont BC actually brings up a picture of my house! In fact the satellite image shows my house, back deck, and workshop. I guess there's no hiding howadays!

lol, the creep factor is the street view when you get to that level of popularity. Given, they've dumbed it down since the first lawsuit of someone who could read the book titles on her bookshelf and they blur out license plate numbers now lol.

Back