• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

London 18th Jan 2018 - Computer Conservation talk on PDP8/I replica

1980s_john

Experienced Member
From an email sent to members, non-members welcome (must book as per link), currently 47 spaces left:

Welcome to the first meeting of 2018 of the Computer Conservation Society which is on Thursday 18th January 2018 at 2 for 2.30PM at the BCS London offices (see below).

Our speaker is Oscar Vermeulen from Switzerland. The title of his talk is Re-Imagining the PDP8 and he writes:

The PiDP-8/I is a modern replica of the 1968 PDP-8/I computer. Made as a kit, this is an open-source hardware project, so schematics, design files & software are all available.. The goal of this project was to create a faithful but low-cost replica of the 1968 PDP-8/I. Operated through the Blinkenlights front panel, it should evoke the user experience from the past. It should also replicate all stages in the PDP-8’s development which was not entirely trivial as the PDP-8 series spanned a long period in computer history: from 1965 to 1979 and from teletype & paper tape all the way through to hard discs and multi-user systems.

PLEASE NOTE - This meeting is at the BCS, First Floor, Davidson Buildings, Southampton Street, London WC2E 7HA. The building is fully accessible. Southampton Street is opposite the Savoy Hotel on the north side of the Strand. Look for a large ornate clock over the entrance.

Please pre-register for the event. To do so, follow this link

http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/lectures/current/lecture.htm

and click on the “Book” symbol. If the meeting is over-subscribed only those who have pre-registered can be admitted owing to fire regulations limiting the number of people allowed in the building.

The room will be open (including tea and coffee) from 2PM to meet fellow members and to allow the meeting to start promptly at 2.30PM.

Our meetings are open to all free of charge so do pass on this invitation to others who may be interested in this meeting or other CCS activities.

Back