• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Long Term Storage

bugman2112

Experienced Member
Wanted to get opinions from the group, as there are many here with a lot more engineering / electronic experience than myself. I am probably nearing the end of my "accumulation phase" of retrocomputing due to space, money, and spouse! Basically, I keep one fully populated computer on display for periodic use (games, programming, show, etc). Then I have several of the same systems in storage for redundacy, parts, etc. I keep them covered, and observe reasonable controlled humidity and temeprature ranges. Some of them are reaching 2+ years of no operation. I'm thinking of cataloging all my hardware and beginning a routine where by I power on all the computers and drives for an hour or two, once per year. My hope would be that this would be sufficient to keep capacitors healthy, solder joints intact, and motors lubricated. I'm trying to balance good practice with something that is practical that I can live with. I don't want to take this to the extreme which will lessen the enjoyment of the hobby. Just wanted to get any additional suggestions.

Capacitors will degrade no matter what. In particular, early surface-mount electrolytics seem to be spontaneously decomposing. Get used to it--short of keeping your old gear in freezer storage, there's no way to prevent it.

Older 70's and 80's capacitors seem to suffer more from drying out than anything, although the occasional short happens. It's not clear that running the equipment periodically reduces the problem. With SMPSUs being the norm, ESR issues become a problem and capacitors get "cooked" faster.

The best conservation policy is to know how to recognize and repair bad capacitor problems.

My take, anyway.

I suspect that "run the equipment periodically to keep the capacitors in shape" got its start from the antique radio crowd, where the practice does have some merit. As far as modern electronics (i.e. pretty much everything after 1975) gear goes, I'm not at all sure.

I guess I've been very luckly so far. The only real hardware problem I've had (I'm not including unseated ICs, oxidized IC legs, and dirty keyboard contacts) was a Tantulum capacitor that popped upon first powerup on a northstar horizon motherboard. It was easily fixed and worked for many hours before I sold it. But then again, the majority of collection has been Apple II products which seem to have robust components, especally in the PSU. But I'm on the look out.

Its tough to balance it. Other than my recent run of bad luck with some of my C64s, I've found that most of the older hardware are 'built like tanks' and will power up and work after all kinds of strange conditions and storage. I've got a significant amount of equipment stored in our garage (much to spouses dismay...) and the more valuable/rare/being used stuff in my hobby room in the house. I've looked into the idea of myself and a couple other collectors renting environment controlled storage space as a group, but even with three people or so its touch and go to justify it for cost (not sure what storage costs run in other places).

My biggest fear has always been leaky batteries on my system such as the Amigas etc. Bad caps and such can be replaced if they can be identified, as long as something else doesn't short out along with it.

All I worry about is leaking batteries and capacitors (they can eat into tracks as well). Since all of my collection is in the basement (dry and cool all year around) I don't have much to worry about humidity and wild temperature swings (since I am on a hill not too worried about flooding either). Humidity and wild temperature swings will rust machines badly.

Sooner or later all collectors need to be able to do some small repairs like capacitor replacement on their machines or they will all die eventually. That and you need to replace CMOS batteries.

Also mold/heat/humidity can be hell on software and paper manuals.

Long Term Storage

I've "commandeered" a bedroom and converted it into a long term storage room. It has temperature and humidity controls and large rack shelving and a few bookcases. I like keeping only 4 or 5 machines "hot", that is ready to run at any given time. I then exchange these with others from storage periodically. Believe it or not, units DO go bad while just sitting on a shelf. Damn annoying too. I'm slowly reaching the point I've only read about for old computers - spending more time maintaining them than using them!

-John

When I first got into this hobby in 1997 I tried storing several IBMs in sealed plastic bags with what I thought was desiccant granules. It was "moisture absorber" instead and I was horrified to open them a year later and find a vile liquid sloshing around and a lot of rust. If I use plastic bags now for electronics I cut the corners off to allow some air flow.

Now I keep some of my machines out in the open in my living space, and the rest in cupboards where I can keep an eye on them. It's pretty dry, away from cold drafts and I've seen no problems.

The '95 vintage SGI I just recovered was stored undisturbed for 13 years in an unsealed loose plastic bag in a dry garage. It still looks almost factory fresh but the chassis is zinc plated instead of the IBM's painted steel and chrome.

When I first got into this hobby in 1997 I tried storing several IBMs in sealed plastic bags with what I thought was desiccant granules. It was "moisture absorber" instead and I was horrified to open them a year later and find a vile liquid sloshing around and a lot of rust. If I use plastic bags now for electronics I cut the corners off to allow some air flow.

The same stupid trick is used with double-glazed windows here. Eventually the moisture absorber gets saturated and starts depositing out on the glass surfaces, etching them. No remedy but to trash the things.

Silica gel is safe, however. Before SG, people used to bake white rice until very dry and use that to grab moisture. Needless to say, rodents love the stuff and it eventually gets moldy.

Back