• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for 34 pin floppy card edge to pin adapters

misterblack

Experienced Member
Hey there guys -- does anyone know a good and cheap source of these adapters?

FDD_IDCtoCE.jpg

I have been looking high and low to no avail. One place has them for $25 EACH -- which is shocking... Any ideas?

It's for adapting Gotek emulators to older machines using the old card-edge connector.

I only have one, and found it on the back of a tape drive.
Very handy. I expect it'd be quite easy to make the the PCBs and build.

Theoretically it should not be that hard to create the PCB yourself, buy the correct female pin header and assemble/solder it together yourself. Of course, you would have to order these in larger quantities, but it will probably be much cheaper than $25 per unit. I might be able to make the PCB for you if you want.

I have several, but you can't have them. They used to be standard kit on the 3.5" floppy adapters for mounting in 5.25" bays (which figures).

The simplest thing is to crimp a 34-pin IDC connector on an existing cable. Floppy cables could be had with 5 connectors--the pin header connector for the FDC and the edge and pin connectors for A and B drives.

I'll occasionally use one of the adapters when I need to use alternate drive selects on a drive--I'll simply cut the normal DS1 pin and wire the edge connector DS1 to whatever DS pin that I need on the drive. Comes in handy when you've got a drive jumpered/wired for DS0, but you need to test it on a PC.

Otherwise, I'll go with the IDC connector on the cable, for a very good reason--it's much harder to have a single connection come undone.

Please excuse my ignorance, but if we can have an adapter like this work, why not the reverse adapting a 3.5" connector to take a 5.25" drive?
:confused:

pfft... Mine is way sexier than any y'all's garage sale fodder.

Look at that physique! Endless good looks! 8-)

sexy edge.jpg

(disclaimer: this is just light humor and in no way am I trying to offend your floppy adapter)

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to crimp the appropriate connector onto an already-existing cable.

And there were "universal" cables with 4 connectors on the drive end--2 for each drive.

It's a lot easier to crimp the appropriate connector onto an already-existing cable.

And there were "universal" cables with 4 connectors on the drive end--2 for each drive.

That is fine for system with ribbon cables. I have some IBM screen controllers which have weird cables with individual wires....

Back