• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for a Reasonably priced ST-225

jodyspencer

Hello My Sider II drive died and I need to replace it.. I think A ST-225 MFM will do that ,,Or if you have a NEC D5126 .. that would be perfect as that is the drive i am replacing.. So If you have one kicking Around let Me know.. I can pay Via Pay pal I am In charleston SC .29420.. Thanks Mike

Last edited:
I have a Seagate ST-225 that worked fine the last time I checked it.

If you want to PM me with a reasonable offer I'll pull it out and test it.

I also have an ST-238R in the same condition if that's of interest.

I sent a PM ,, I believe the ST-238R is an RLL 30mb .. The Controller and Software in the Sider Is really picky.. So The ST-225 has been said to work correctly and the software is looking(preset) for that geometry common to the NEC D5126/ST-225

Mike

Correct in that the ST-238R is an RLL. But, the two drives have identical geometry. The difference is the 238R has been RLL certified. Maybe the 225s are the drives that didn't pass the RLL certification? :) I don't know.

Correct in that the ST-238R is an RLL. But, the two drives have identical geometry. The difference is the 238R has been RLL certified. Maybe the 225s are the drives that didn't pass the RLL certification? :) I don't know.

That is quite possibly true. Also it is possible that sometimes, Seagate exceeded their quota of RLL drive production, or couldn't meet the production demand for MFM drives, and ended up selling drives that passed the RLL certification test as MFM drives.

ST-506 (MFM / RLL) drives are "dumb" and cannot identify themselves to the controller, except for the "paired program" drives that Seagate shipped pre-formatted to work with one of their MFM or RLL controllers. But even in that case it was a simple matter to low-level format the drive to remove Seagate's formatting and use the drive in any manner you wish.

Thanks I'll be looking for one of those also.. But most sellers think these MEM/RLL drives are made Of Gold...Most of the ones I see on The Bay keep being listed over and over never selling.. I Think there may be an alternative soon for the Siders.. A very low cost SASI/SCSI to IDE bridge "board" only..Some software/firmware may be necessary.. for the sider I guess that will depend on how the bridgeboard is seen by the Sider controller.. But I was told it should be doable..
Mike

While the Sider is a neat look, I expect that one of the Apple II cards that handle IDE directly is more useful than layering on more converters to make the old card work.

Actually your not layering on .. you just replace the Orginal Xebec S1410 Bridgeboard and Old MFM drive with the New SaSI Bridgeboard & IDE .. The New bridge actually will have a SD slot if you want to go that direction...And also should work with your existing SCSI controllers...

scsi2ide.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, are you still looking for an ST-225? If so I think I may have 1 or 2 hanging around. I'll look around tonight when I get home and let you know. On a side note I've been reading through some of my old computer magazines and came across a product review in the Personal Computing/April 1985 issue for the original "The Sider" when it was released. I took a pic of it and have it on my flickr account if you want to see it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruceflinn/15175185237/in/set-72157647653957208

Be in touch. -BruceF

Hello My Sider II drive died and I need to replace it.. I think A ST-225 MFM will do that ,,Or if you have a NEC D5126 .. that would be perfect as that is the drive i am replacing.. So If you have one kicking Around let Me know.. I can pay Via Pay pal I am In charleston SC .29420.. Thanks Mike

Got the drive yesterday LLF'ed it , fdisk and formatted with format c: /s.. The drive works great on my 5160 but it has too many bad sectors for the Sider .. I can use it for the 5160 as it had only a 10mb drive .. So I will still be looking for a drive.. Hopefully a NEC D5126 but A st-225, st-238 ect should work.. pretty much any MFM drive with 615-4-17 geometry ...

Got the drive yesterday LLF'ed it , fdisk and formatted with format c: /s.. The drive works great on my 5160 but it has too many bad sectors for the Sider .. I can use it for the 5160 as it had only a 10mb drive .. So I will still be looking for a drive.. Hopefully a NEC D5126 but A st-225, st-238 ect should work.. pretty much any MFM drive with 615-4-17 geometry ...
How many bad sectors is 'too many'?

I still have these:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...-Reasonably-priced-ST-225&p=339349#post339349

I am not sure, its just what the Installation software says when installing.. I am waiting on a Terminator from Wayne .. as I am not sure the Terminator schematic I have found on the Web is accurate for the Sider, and when I get it I have a friend that is supposed to lend me a suitable HD to test this all out.. If it works I will be in a better position to know what drive I need..

Mike, I'm sorry the drive didn't work out on The Sider. I am glad you could put it to good use on the 5160 though. I was hoping it wasn't a total loss as it had been sitting around for quite a few years along with being moved about from storage space to storage within the house. Good luck on the continued search. -BruceF

Back