• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

looking for a working 486 motherboard

Casey

Veteran Member
As the title says, I'm looking for a working 486 motherboard. Preference for a 486dx2-66 as that's what I had a long time ago. ISA only is fine. To be specific, I'm looking for a system with a cpu & ram. I have both here, but they're plugged into a non-working motherboard and I don't know if they're usable. (cpu is an AMD 486dx2-66, 3.3v if memory serves)

Strong preference for a coin battery, socketed Dallas chip, or removed rechargeable battery wherein I can add a AA battery pack.

If ISA only, an available IDE controller would be good, as well as a VGA card. I can always find them on eBay, but it's nice to get them at the same time.

Would like to stay at or under $100 with shipping, if possible. Zip is 45014.

It's been a couple of decades; how big a power supply would such a motherboard require? IIRC my AT spare is 250 watts.

250 watts should be fine.

I may have something along the line. I ordered 2 486 motherboards and both have some mild corrosion from the Varta battery. I would need to test and verify them.

If I do sell one it would be a 486DX-33 with 20 MB RAM. Sorry no I/O board though. Main Boards should be here by Friday the 8th plus testing so maybe the 1 will be available After Tuesday the 12th
So let me know what you think. Can always buy a 486DX-2 66 on eBay as well as a VESA Bus I/O controller or a standard ISA I/O controller. Might have a Trident 512k ISA video bus as well. Need to check.

Sounds do-able. Are we talking about the battery being removed? Lost my soldering iron a few years back.

Yes I am going to pull the battery and clean up any corrosion that might be on the board and test it. If all good I will let you know. Then if you get it from me you can use an external battery back.
I will be reasonable on the price no worries there. As far as battery packs go there is a surplus electronic parts store about a 40 minute drive from me. They sell 4 cell AAA battery packs for $2.00 and even has a power switch for it. I have a spare available i can include free.

Ok the board came and it has an issue. It will not boot from a floppy disk. I tried 3 different floppy controllers and 4 different floppy drives with a known good disks. Nothing. Does not boot.
So sorry about that. So keep looking. Might want to check eBay. Or Amibay.

Pickings are somewhat slim right now. A lot of $300 motherboards for sale.

There's a couple nice looking boards offered, but no cpu or ram. Tempted to buy one of those and see if the cpu & ram I have now work. Pretty sure it's the motherboard that's dead.

Here is one at decent price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Chips-M...817561?hash=item5b7f1096d9:g:Zj4AAOSwVJ9fgB9T
Has 256K Cache memory 3 VESA slots and 8 30 Pin memory slots. And battery has been removed so you can use an external battery pack. Just need a CPU and RAM. I may be able to still help you out. I will sell the 486dx/33 motherboard with 20 MB RAM I have for $20.00 + $5.00 shipping to you and you can pull CPU and RAM out of it. Let me know what you think.

Here are the jumper settings for it: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UNIDENTIFIED-486-M601-VERSION-1-3.html

I may be able to still help you out. I will sell the 486dx/33 motherboard with 20 MB RAM I have for $20.00 + $5.00 shipping to you and you can pull CPU and RAM out of it. Let me know what you think.

Here are the jumper settings for it: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UNIDENTIFIED-486-M601-VERSION-1-3.html

Does your m/b support 3.3v AMD 486dx2-66 cpus? If memory serves, that's the chip I have. It's buried under a bunch of other junk right now. Lord this place needs a good cleaning.

The motherboard is right now not liking floppy drives anyway so basically no good. The motherboard I gave a link to is not mine. You may want to contact the seller about 3.3V support.
Just seemed the best deal even without CPU and RAM.

As I said I could just send my bad board and you can pull CPU off of it and the RAM chips. Then toss the board. Or I can just send CPU and RAM to you if you get that board. your choice.

As the title says, I'm looking for a working 486 motherboard. Preference for a 486dx2-66 as that's what I had a long time ago. ISA only is fine. To be specific, I'm looking for a system with a cpu & ram. I have both here, but they're plugged into a non-working motherboard and I don't know if they're usable. (cpu is an AMD 486dx2-66, 3.3v if memory serves)

Strong preference for a coin battery, socketed Dallas chip, or removed rechargeable battery wherein I can add a AA battery pack.

If ISA only, an available IDE controller would be good, as well as a VGA card. I can always find them on eBay, but it's nice to get them at the same time.

Would like to stay at or under $100 with shipping, if possible. Zip is 45014.

It's been a couple of decades; how big a power supply would such a motherboard require? IIRC my AT spare is 250 watts.

What is the model number of the board you have? Is it a retail system or a OEM?

I am in Youngstown and have spare 486 boards but not CPUs (keeping them for my gear).

What is the model number of the board you have? Is it a retail system or a OEM?

I am in Youngstown and have spare 486 boards but not CPUs (keeping them for my gear).

If memory serves (as I said earlier it's buried right now) it's an Asus PVI-486SP3. What I can remember for sure is that it's an Asus, has ISA & VL bus slots, has a coin battery, and can support 3.3v cpus, which is why I bought the AMD 486dx2-66 3.3v. I plugged the cpu into that motherboard, but no joy.

I have a couple of boards I can send with some RAM if you want for $100, I'll see which ones I have that have 3.3V support. I have one on eBay here that might work for you (again, I'll add RAM for you if you want it): https://www.ebay.com/itm/284085489570

edit: ok I just checked and that one doesn't have 3.3V support, so I'll see if I have one that does if you need one, otherwise this one should work fine :)

Back