• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for a z machine interpreter for cp/m

Thx1138

Experienced Member
Hi I'm trying to track down a z machine interpreter for cp/m. Can anyone help, I believe there was an Infocom one but I can't seem to find a copy?

Charlie

Infocom games usually came as a pair of files, for example ZORK1.COM and ZORK1.DAT
The .COM file is the interpreter and the .DAT contains the Z-code data.

Without getting into nuances such as the different version of Z-machine,
one can generally just substitute a different data file to play a different game.
As for finding the files, suffice it to say, if you look, they're out there.

Cheers,
Andy

"You owe the Oracle a credit in your Retrochallenge entry."

Thanks Andy, I have the Zork series for CP/M and each game does indeed consist of a .com and .dat file. So for instance the zork1.com file is the interpreter, I've had it all along, what a dufus? Am I write in thinking the interpreter needs .z3 files?

Charlie

Actaully this is a thing I still have to try ( I did not think at that simple solution ) in fact I did try to hack ZORK1 ( CPM ) to find out where it was loading the .dat and was thinking to just change the filename in there and see what happens.

As for the files .. well .. they are around .. you could find them all in a collection called "The Lost Treasures of Infocom" that can't remember where it was on sale.

Some of the last stuff anyway could contain an updated version of the Z-machine, I know that looking around there has to be various implementations ( in C ) of the Z-machine but I wonder if one could really manage to compile one of those using Hitec-C or so on a real CP/M machine ..

Charlie, I guess you're too humble to post here so let me just say congratulations.

I'm playing the game and have made limited progress.
Don't know if I'm justing fighting the parser now.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I've been busy with all sorts of stuff and simply hadn't checked back here.

I hope you didn't get too frustrated, if you're still stuck let me know.

Charlie

Just for interest there is another CP/M interpreter just called RUN.COM and will play any .z3 file simply by just typing, for example, RUN ZORK1. I have 20+ Infocom games running under CP/M on my Microbee this way.

But whats really needed is a CP/M .z5 interpreter, then the list of adventures that can be played would be almost endless.

Just for interest there is another CP/M interpreter just called RUN.COM and will play any .z3 file simply by just typing, for example, RUN ZORK1. I have 20+ Infocom games running under CP/M on my Microbee this way.

But whats really needed is a CP/M .z5 interpreter, then the list of adventures that can be played would be almost endless.
Fantastic - just found this 10 year old thread and looks like my project might fill the need! While I know you're on it, for other people it's at https://gitlab.com/sijnstra1/vezza
There's a few terminals available that work, and I have found some that really don't play nice, such as the Kaypro and the MSX - so it's a work in progress.
Feel free to contact me if you try it and find something amiss!

Back