• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Amiga 1000 Kickstart and Workbench disks

Ragooman

Experienced Member
Looking for Amiga 1000 Kickstart and Workbench disks
I somehow misplaced them after being packed up for so long.
I'm glad the A1000 still boots up fine, but until I find some disks I'm not sure if the floppy drive is still ok.
I wasn't sure if the A1000 version stops at ver1.2 or ver1.3

Dan

Do you have another Amiga with which you could use CrossDOS to transfer files from your PC to your Amiga, then write out the images as Amiga disks? Or do you need the physical disks? Posting or pointing you to images is easy... not always as easy to write out and send disks.

my buddy here has an Amiga 500. I checked it recently, it still works fine. I haven't heard about CrossDOS, just now read briefly about what this can do. This is the first time I'm trying to transfer files between the PC and Amiga before. So I'm not familiar about that utilities are available. I've done this with others micro's, just not on the Amiga yet.

How do I get CrossDOS installed on his A500 then ?
I read elsewhere that the Amiga can read/write PC formatted disks.
Can I download CrossDOS via my PC and save it to a floppy which the A500 can read and install ?

It's been a while since I've worked on my Amiga but the crossdos is a driver on the Amiga that let's it read 720K dos formatted disks (well it can read 1.44MB disks if they're formatted at 720K). So you would ideally compress the application if it's larger than that and span it or split it into files that are compatible with whatever zip tool the Amiga has access to and you'd be able to slowly copy files over.

I can't remember if it can access fat-16 partitions but if it could then you could share files via a SCSI zip disk if you had a SCSI card on your PC. Otherwise it makes a nice removable hard drive for the Amiga.

CrossDOS is on Aminet (along with most other tools you need): http://68k.aminet.net/search?query=crossdos

I just saw on the other reply here that I would need OS2.1 or higher to use this. My buddies A500 only has Workbench ver1.3

On that website, I also see there's several Kickstart files too. However, I don't see any versions that I'm familiar with, ver1.1, ver1.2 or ver1.3. so i'm not sure which is possible to try, I see other version that I didn't know about, such as, ver 3.1

I have to admit this is looking harder to accomplish that I thought ormaybe cause this is the first time I'm trying this.
So is it possible take these *.lha files which I download with my PC, save to a floppy, and let the A500 read them and then write it out to a Amiga formatted floppy to create a Kickstart disk ?

My buddies A500 only has Workbench ver1.3

You are set then. All you need is an A500, a serial cable, and transdisk. Briefly, you use the AmigaOS command 'type' to read from the serial port and write into a file. You then use ADF Sender Terminal to send transdisk over to the Amiga. Once you have transdisk on the Amiga, you use that and AST to dump .ADF images. ADF images of kickstart/workbench images should be pretty easy to find. Just read the docs and follow instructions and it's super easy.

You are set then. All you need is an A500, a serial cable, and transdisk. Briefly, you use the AmigaOS command 'type' to read from the serial port and write into a file. You then use ADF Sender Terminal to send transdisk over to the Amiga. Once you have transdisk on the Amiga, you use that and AST to dump .ADF images. ADF images of kickstart/workbench images should be pretty easy to find. Just read the docs and follow instructions and it's super easy.
Oh, very nice! It's been probably a decade since I last was in the OP's situation... I don't recall transdisk being available back in those days (I was lucky and had an dual-floppy A500 with a 2.04 KS rom chip. I used CrossDOS and 720kb PC disks to transfer software back then)

Thanks for posting this info... another good tidbit do know!

ah ok. This method sounds is very similar to the other schemes to transfer files and create boot disks. I'll give it a try this wknd.
Thanks so much for the info.

Back