• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for an omnibus extender board

anders_bzn

Experienced Member
I'm looking for an omnibus extension board or flexible top connectors. I want to get access to the component side of the middle board of a RK8E board set (M7105). Either I need to put two boards on extenders (have one) or I'll need top connectors with a flat cable in between the connectors (have two need four). I got two of the flexible top connectors from Jack R (if i remember correct).

I have seen someone selling new extender boards somewhere. But I can't find them now.

It would be possible to build new extension boards, the edge connectors can be hard to find, but I have quite some pieces of backplane connectors that should be possible to cut into pieces and use.

Anyone that could sell me one?

I'm looking for an omnibus extension board or flexible top connectors. I want to get access to the component side of the middle board of a RK8E board set (M7105). Either I need to put two boards on extenders (have one) or I'll need top connectors with a flat cable in between the connectors (have two need four). I got two of the flexible top connectors from Jack R (if i remember correct).

I have seen someone selling new extender boards somewhere. But I can't find them now.

It would be possible to build new extension boards, the edge connectors can be hard to find, but I have quite some pieces of backplane connectors that should be possible to cut into pieces and use.

Anyone that could sell me one?

I have built several of Jacks extenders. Not with the original DEC connector though but a more standard EDAC connector. The difference is that it is not tight fit so you could insert push on the connector offset by half a connector tongue. But if you are careful this isn't a problem. Just make sure to align it correctly. I can send you two on loan for quite some time. I have no use for them right now.

I've used Douglas's DEC-type extenders in the past, they do work. Beware that the connector isn't as deep as a regular DEC backplane connector, or at least the last ones I ordered weren't. Depending on the board, this may let it sway a little if you're using a chassis with the backplane in the bottom.

I have built several of Jacks extenders. Not with the original DEC connector though but a more standard EDAC connector. The difference is that it is not tight fit so you could insert push on the connector offset by half a connector tongue. But if you are careful this isn't a problem. Just make sure to align it correctly. I can send you two on loan for quite some time. I have no use for them right now.

Yes please!

http://www.douglas.com/index.php/of.../bread-boards-by-function/board-extender.html

You can purchase the extender cards with the appropriate connector fitted.

Dave

Yes, I have seen those before but couldn't find them Thanks! They are not to expensive. The problem is the freight charge, $82 to Sweden.

I've used Douglas's DEC-type extenders in the past, they do work. Beware that the connector isn't as deep as a regular DEC backplane connector, or at least the last ones I ordered weren't. Depending on the board, this may let it sway a little if you're using a chassis with the backplane in the bottom.

I'll use them with PDP8a, so this is relevant.

I have looked into making PCB's and using my backplane connectors. The PCB's (5x) will be half the price compared to one board from Douglas... Is there anybody that have cut backplane connectors in pieces? Did it fail or succeeded?

Well, Douglas's PCBs have actual hard gold plating for the edge connectors. That usually drastically increases the cost of a very small run of boards, so that's something to consider. Hard gold is far superior to ENIG or HASL finish, and is what you want -- especially on a board whose purpose is to help with troubleshooting.

I found some proper DEC connectors so I ordered a custom board. No hard gold unfortunately, so lets see how long it will last.
DSC_1073.jpg

Back