• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for any old Vacuum tubes

Druid6900

Veteran Member
I was going through a closet today and found a B&K 707 Mutual Conductance tester that I don't even remember getting, but, do you think I could scrounge up a single vacuum tube to test it out with?

It's in great shape, has the operator's manual and tube chart (with a envelope full of update pages) and, since I don't work on anything with tubes anymore, I think I should put it on the market.

TIA

name one ill send it i collect old radios as a hobby aswell and just bought a caddy full if ya want ill pre test and send ya a good and a bad one.

I have to admit. That was kind of fun. Take my grocery bag full of tubes into the grocery store. Try to read the chart, figure out which socket to put them in.

"Uuuu hoooo, Mr. Manager, unlock the cabinet please. I need another one of these. This one is dead."

My left ear is still messed up from my "super het" days. With mono, who needs 2 earphones. I tended to use my left ear all the time. I sure can tell it now.

Hmmm. I have an old Eico 625 tube tester as well as a Tube replacement kit which was carried along when electronic technicians did house-calls. I've used the 625 over the years for checking tubes in analogue Tube sterios. It has most of the pin-out configurations to plug into and a circular data-base to tell you what settings should be set for most tubes.

As well as the tubekit full of tubes I also have other bags-full of unknown condition tubes,
I've been planning for years to test all and then offer the good ones on ebay. I imagine there is a way to short a tube and make it inopperable but perhaps one could find a less-destuctive way to test your machine. Maybe not. I could for example find 2 tubes of little value which show good and send them to you and you could blow one and then test them.

There was a regular participent who hasn't been here lately Alexkerhead who even bid on and sold old tubes. If he is monitoring perhaps he could add to the discussion.

I'm not quite sure what a "mutual conductance" tester is and how it would differ from a Tube-tester like mine or even the ones which were at one time in most convenience stores. Most said short, open and signal quality vales.

Lawrence

I'd like to thank Micom2000 for kindly testing and sending me some tubes so I test and calibrate my unit.

(I'd also like to kick his butt for not letting me even pay shipping)

Thank you, Santa :)

Watch it, kid, any butt-kicking is gonna be done by me. I may be 71 but I'm still in good shape and I have 4 sons, one whom you'd not want to encounter in an alley. He has a trophy for the best Intermediate halfback in Quebec around 1985 but his knees gave out before he was drafted by the Allouettes. He played Aussie rules football later in BC where they beat their heads together as an endearment and just to get into the game. Now a chef with considerable girth, a gentle easy going giant, but can be scary to those who don't know him. I'm glad I kicked his butt while he was still young. :^))

Lawrence

Cool yule and a frantic first to you and your family.

Last edited:
Now, there's the holiday spirit! A round of butt kicking all around!!!

:)

Being sorta one-legged at the moment, I'll have to pass on the butt-kicking contest...but I'll arm wrestle any 71-year old Phart! (Not you, Mike. I saw that picture of ya ballin' da jack, and I know well what kinda body english that requires).

--T

Druid: Never saw the original message (too old); too bad, I coulda dropped off a bunch last time I passed by your place.

BTW, I finally found those S500 keyboard connectors and an S500 motherboard as well last week; good thing ya didn't have to wait for me ;-)

mike

Druid: Never saw the original message (too old); too bad, I coulda dropped off a bunch last time I passed by your place.

BTW, I finally found those S500 keyboard connectors and an S500 motherboard as well last week; good thing ya didn't have to wait for me ;-)

mike

Yeah, yeah, you keep threatening to drop in, but.....LOL

If I had to had to wait, I would have waited. It's not like I have a shotage of things to repair/test or anything :)

It's bad enough with just the stuff I've accumulated but, since I advertise repair services as well, it's like I'm the last person on the planet that works on this old stuff.

"Repair? Who me? Sorry, you have the wrong number. Call back in a month or so" LMAO

Being sorta one-legged at the moment, I'll have to pass on the butt-kicking contest...but I'll arm wrestle any 71-year old Phart! (Not you, Mike. I saw that picture of ya ballin' da jack, and I know well what kinda body english that requires).

--T

OK peg-leg. Here's my backup. He'll handle it. :^))

Lawrence

Last edited:
Back