• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for "BASIC/Z - Native Code Compiler" software

Thanks to the RunCPM patch mentioned above, I was able to run the installation program to modify BZ.COM and RZ.COM.
After copying the files over to the SD card image, it now runs on my V20-MBC system which runs CP/M 2.2 in 8080 emulation mode. A few more systems to try it on...

I also found a suitable cpmtools diskdefs entry for the H8D images in the SEBHC mailing list archives.

Code:
diskdef h8d
  seclen 256
  tracks 40
  sectrk 10
  blocksize 1024
  maxdir 32
  skew 4
  boottrk 3
  os 2.2
end

For a minimal system it probably only needs BZ.OVL, BZ.COM, RZ.COM and the installation files.

It's been fun getting this working, I used PB/DOS, PB/Vision and PC/CC a while ago and the BASIC dialect seems to be similar. Bob Zale sadly passed away so it's great to see this part of history up and running.

Following from the comment above, are the installation files 'needed'?

I've noted that BZ offers a CLS command, and this does NOT work at present as the necessary codes have not been 'installed', but I see that as inconvenient rather than vital. Has anyone else noted anything else?

The little test prog I tried was to do the same function, which worked fine with the correct terminal codes. I could easily do RZ CLS within BZ, using the CLS.BZO that I created.

Almost ALL of the rest are varieties of 'demo' prog. Maybe all that's REALLY needed is BZ.* and RZ.COM. Oh, and access to the manual?

Geoff

Following from the comment above, are the installation files 'needed'?
I think the files as originally distributed in the H8D images are configured for that system, so once the installation has been fine-tuned then all that is needed for a floppy system are as you suggest BZ.OVL, BZ.COM, RZ.COM.

I've noted that BZ offers a CLS command, and this does NOT work at present as the necessary codes have not been 'installed', but I see that as inconvenient rather than vital. Has anyone else noted anything else?
There's an option in the installation to choose a number of terminals, choose a "non specific" terminal or even roll your own.
CLS works for me in RunCPM after I configured CP/M 2.2 and a DEC Rainbow 80 col.

Code:
Title:  CL2     
Lo-line: 10  Hi-line: 30  Pgmsize: 90  Spaceleft: 42487
list

Title:  CL2                                               

10 REM Clear Screen and check codes sent to terminal
   20 CLS
   30 PRINT "Screen above was cleared."

After I've compiled it, the .BZO file is 768 bytes but the .COM is 24320.

Hi guys, I was about to post a link to the SEBHC disk archive where we have a "used" copy of BASIC/Z but I see someone already found them. Glad to see that. This copy of BASIC/Z is from my personal archive.

A bit of history. Back in the early 80s I worked for a company that made accounting software on old Zilog MCZ-2 computers running CP/M. If I remember correctly we used BASIC/Z, or maybe we were evaluating it at the time. My home personal computer was a Heathkit H8 computer running CP/M and by chance I decided to copy all the BASIC/Z files to my Heathkit computer over a serial link. As time went on, the Heathkit got put in storage along with all the floppy disks. Back in 2009 I decided to bring it out of storage (it sat for 25 years or so) and I created disk images of all my Heathkit floppies. Luckily almost all the disks were still readable so I got good digital copies of all the data. I'm glad BASIC/Z survived.

Honestly I don't remember much about BASIC/Z so don't think I can help as far as getting it running but it looks like you guys got it all sorted out.

Thanks for scanning the manual.

Les

@Les Bird Thanks so much for having the forethought to back those disks up get them online! So glad they survived. I might have to poke through the rest of your archive...

Happy to see BASIC/Z get some use.

The software archive is here: https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/software.html
Each volume has a searchable index page like this: https://sebhc.github.io/sebhc/software/Applications/H8DCATALOG_VOL1.HTML

You can load that page and then CTRL-F to search it. For example, search for "BZO" or "BZS" to find BASIC/Z related files. When you do that you can tell which disk image has the file. I wrote a utility that will let you extract files from a H8D disk image. It is called H8DUTILITY V3 and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/sebhc/sebhc/wiki#h8dutility

Hope this helps.

Les

Back