• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for First 3D printer, need advice

Im in the same boat, and looking at an Ender myself just due to the massive community support around it. So how has it worked out for you, since the topic is back up?
I am still in the Market. I think I want the Ender for the support you just mentioned but I havent found a good enough deal yet. Seems the prices went up.

Figure that you'll be needing $50 worth of other stuff on top of whatever printer you buy. Extra nozzles, a few spare parts and better quality bowden plastic tubing etc. Plus buy a roll of top quality PLA filament to learn with since some bargain brands can caused problems that are hard to figure out when you're trying to learn the basics of making the printer work. Also, any 3D printer that has a bowden tube feed system will have problems with engineering filaments (ABS, Nylon etc) and the temperatures needed to print with them. You'll need to work on improving the print head or replace it with a direct feed head. Also figure on enclosing the printer in a filtered vented box to prevent warping plus health issues if using engineering filaments a lot. A heated bed is a must and most will have that unless dirt cheap.

Just stick with PLA and PETG filaments - it will work for most of your needs. If you have a direct drive extruder you can use TPU filament too.

PLA is the easiest filament to work with, but has problems with heat. Don't use it if making something that will be in a hot car and also don't try to file or grind on a printed PLA part or it will turn into a mess. Even sanding to remove printing errors has to be done wet. For computer cases and other indoor "stuff" it works well. PETG is a better filament that has become a main stay for many parts that used to be made with engineering filaments. It's a modified form of PET that's been used for things like 2 liter soda bottles. If you get into glass filled materials which work great for stability you'll need hardened nozzles or a good supply of new brass ones as glass will open the hole over time. I haven't had as many problems printing as I have with generating the file needed to product new parts. My brain is just not CAD program oriented.

Back