• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for golf.com

zombienerd

Veteran Member
On my first computer, there was a small COM file, golf.com that was a text-based golf game. I don't think there were any supplemental files, but I could be wrong.

I can't find it on any abandonware sites, mobygames, or the like.

I'm wondering if anyone here might have a copy.

I remember that it played on an MDA card (might have been Hercules, but I think it was straight text mode)

I remember that it asked for your handicap at the beginning. And that when you were putting on the green, it showed a flat line with a flag, and the ball (letter "o") slid across towards the pin.

Nostalgia compels me to find this game, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere I can find, and searching for the file in old webservers using Index of searches brings up thousands of results of websites ending in 'golf.com'

Asking for the handicap at the beginning sounds like it was derived from the old Basic Computer Games Golf, just compiled and with the addition of simple putting graphics. I can't find one with the graphics but the original should play nearly the same.

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=71 shows the program in action so you can compare with your memory. I know there is an online download of all those games as source code but I can't locate it right now.

Asking for the handicap at the beginning sounds like it was derived from the old Basic Computer Games Golf, just compiled and with the addition of simple putting graphics. I can't find one with the graphics but the original should play nearly the same.

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=71 shows the program in action so you can compare with your memory. I know there is an online download of all those games as source code but I can't locate it right now.

Very very similar! The verbiage is different for many lines, but the play seems quite close.

Might you may be looking for golf.exe?
PC Golf (1986)(Anonymous) [Strategy, Simulation].zip

Asks for a handicap at the beginning along with your name and has some fairly simply ascii graphics as shown.

You can find this entry in the "total DOS collection", and if you can't find that, I can help.

Attachments

• golf2_000.jpg
    golf2_000.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1
Might you may be looking for golf.exe?
PC Golf (1986)(Anonymous) [Strategy, Simulation].zip

Asks for a handicap at the beginning along with your name and has some fairly simply ascii graphics as shown.

You can find this entry in the "total DOS collection", and if you can't find that, I can help.

Well, I'll be... That's it.

Wow. That's nostalgic :D

Searched your listed ZIP and found it on the Archive.org site. Loaded it into DOSBOX. I had no idea it was in color :D I only ever saw it in Amber!

Back