• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for ICT WinPLACE PLD software for PEEL 18CV8...

george

Experienced Member
Does anybody have this ancient free software? I need to compile some equations with it for PEEL 18CV8 PLD. Thank you.

You might have better luck using PLDASM--I think it was part of PLDShell. That used to be freely available from Intel, but I think it was sold to Altera. Regardless, I suspect there are some copies wandering around the web.

Does anybody have this ancient free software? I need to compile some equations with it for PEEL 18CV8 PLD. Thank you.

I think ABEL and some versions of CUPL could handle PEEL devices. The 18CV8 was a very advanced device but few applications used all its capabilities. Perhaps you could try to see if your equations will assemble properly with a GAL16V8 or PAL16V8? Can you post an example equation?

I think ABEL and some versions of CUPL could handle PEEL devices. The 18CV8 was a very advanced device but few applications used all its capabilities. Perhaps you could try to see if your equations will assemble properly with a GAL16V8 or PAL16V8? Can you post an example equation?

Of course, the equations assemble properly. I just have several PEEL devices plus I know local supply so I want to use PEEL also. WinCUPL version I have does not have in its device library support for PEEL ;(

I don't know if this will help, but SMS PLDASM claims to support the 18CV8. So perhaps you have a way of going from logic equations to a JEDEC fusemap.

I share your frustration in finding support for old programmable devices. The various logic lines have been passed around so much that a lot of information and tools are simply unobtanium.

Any chance of using a plain old GAL in place of the 18CV8?

I don't know if this will help, but SMS PLDASM claims to support the 18CV8. So perhaps you have a way of going from logic equations to a JEDEC fusemap.

I share your frustration in finding support for old programmable devices. The various logic lines have been passed around so much that a lot of information and tools are simply unobtanium.

Any chance of using a plain old GAL in place of the 18CV8?

Yes, I am already using GALs successfully. Just wanted to utilize PEELs...And to gain some additional knowledge on their IDE.

Added: Chuck, you're great as usual. The german assembler you pointed out of nowhere in your link worked perfectly. I will pay more attention to it to understand what I actually used ;) Thank you

Last edited:
PEELs use a different output macrocell than do GALs. It's more flexible, but obviously requires different programming. My Xeltek Superpro can handle them, but I think they're sort of a dead-end, evolutionary speaking. I think I've got a batch of 16CV8 and 22CV10s that I picked up cheap. But I'd never design for something that works only with a PEEL device--that would be instant obsolescence.

See here for a brief explanation.

Actually I am using GALs and PEELs to replace a simple 16L8 logic so both types are suitable as long as they are available. Just needed a proper compiler for PEELs.

Last edited:

Depending on how bold you are, you can download a zip folder called WinPlace 232-beta from this Russian sounding webpage. I ran a Norton scan successfully on the zip folder but who knows. There is also a link to the WinPLACE manual. Norton gave the page a green 'Site is Safe' light.

http://www.control.aau.dk/~jan/undervisning/Logiske_Digitale_Kredslob-2009/

Depending on how bold you are, you can download a zip folder called WinPlace 232-beta from this Russian sounding webpage. I ran a Norton scan successfully on the zip folder but who knows. There is also a link to the WinPLACE manual. Norton gave the page a green 'Site is Safe' light.

http://www.control.aau.dk/~jan/undervisning/Logiske_Digitale_Kredslob-2009/
The site is danish, and thank you. I have already solved my problem with the small dos sms assembler that Chuck pointed to, but I've also donwnloaded this one and will check it some day.

George,
Granted this reply follows your query by 2 years, but ... I have PLACE software diskette and user manual. Version 2.71 I think, from 1995. I'm not sure whether it is intended for DOS or wWndows, probably win. I can send you a .7z of the 3.5 " diskette, look it over. If you want the manual you will have to recompense for shipping. The manual is actually a complete databook of ICT programmable devices, and extension documentation (about 45% of the content of the databook) of the PLACE program.

regards,
Ray Berry

Thank you. It would be great to have the software. Others might be interested, too...

Hi Dane - is Winplace 2.1 still available from you? Do you still have a copy?
I am trying to program some ICT PA7024 PEEL devices, but I have had no luck in finding the software.

Back