• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for information on large AT/XT cases

Ok, here's a few pics of the 10-external-bay full tower that I have (and modified for a particular motherboard that was a AT form-factor Socket 370 board, with a PS/2 mouse port right next to the AT keyboard connector, so I cut a hole.....).
IMG_20140402_220110_284.jpgIMG_20140402_220222_010.jpgIMG_20140402_220122_600.jpg

There are 8 device busy LED's on the front panel. It originally had a door, but that is long gone. AT form-factor Slot 1 and Socket 370 boards were (and are) a bit difficult to find, but they did exist. Those are the latest AT form-factor boards I know of, other than passive-backplane industrial PC's that are still made today. The earliest ATX boards I have are a Pentium 90 and a single PPro 200, made during the time that both AT and ATX form-factors were common (I still have a SuperMicro dual socket 8 board in AT form-factor).

I also found a 'combo' case that is an ATX full tower but has an 'AT filler panel' in the ATX panel's place, and an AT power supply. It's somewhat buried in my basement, so no pics at the moment, and it's a bit smaller than the wheeled 10-bay above.

I bought a full-AT tower at a computer show in the late 90s for $5, around when the AT form factor was pretty much dead and nobody wanted anything to do with it. It was about 3 feet tall, had 5 external 5.25" bays, 4 3.5" bays (2 internal 2 external), and came with a power supply. As cool as it was, it was very no-frills and looked somewhat boring. It was all the same shade of light beige. No turbo switch, no MHz LED.

I had it loaded up with a AMD 5x86 133 and 16mb of RAM if I recall right. Unfortunately it was one of the dozen or so 386/486/P1 computers I dumped at Goodwill during a post-girlfriend purge a bunch of years back. If I knew how much some of that stuff would be going for on eBay today, I probably would have rented a storage locker for it. :p

Ok, here's a few pics of the 10-external-bay full tower that I have

That thing is a beast. Never seen anything like it. Wouldn't mind owning one if I had the space.

Back